They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New PC

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

New PC

Postby Bobby » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:05 am

My install of PRE10 is on hold for a few weeks, so my re-integration into activity here may be held up a bit.

Back in the days when I was more active, I had two PCs next to each other with a keyboard/monitor switch. One was for normal day-to-day stuff, and the other was strictly for video editing. The video PC was built with Win7-32 as 64 was a bit unproven then and PRE was 32-bit only. Also it had a 300GB Velociraptor system drive (and 1,000GB data drive) but they were only available at 300GB at that time so storage is a bit limited on the system drive.

My day-to-day PC died a while ago, so I decided to consolidate PCs as I wasn't too video active. But now I would like to go 64 with PRE10 and it seems natural to go back to two PCs again rather than do a clean 64 install of everything on the one PC.

I am probably going to have to wait until after the holidays to start doing research as my wife has our holiday time very booked right now!

Just wanted to let all y'all know I was still here and lurking more than talking. I am looking forward to putting that new system in place!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: New PC

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:17 am

You may want to consider a dual boot setup (2 separate, large hard drives). I boot to the 32 bit for everyday stuff, and boot to 64 bit (with minimal programs installed) to do more processor intensive things.

2 cents.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bobby » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah Ron thanks, but I use both simultaneously. Plus I want more horsepower than my now 3 year old former video PC. Good idea, tho...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Rather have you here lurking than to not have you here at all! :-D

I added more memory in anticipation of PrEl 10, but it's a Christmas present and I'm not allowed to have it until then. I'm going to try to act surprised.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:07 am

Thanks Dave. Things are still pretty odd around here, getting used to not running the town, and of course the holidays. I am doing two quickie family movies for the grandkids from our visit last week, but that wasn't enough motivation to try PRE10 yet.

Hope you enjoy the enhanced brain (RAM) capacity!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:14 am

Great time to build a new editing PC, Bobby! Sandy Bridge has a lot of great features for non-linear editing, and the price for all components is much better than when we built our last PCs ~3 years back. For under $1000 you can build an editing rig that will smoke a $5000+ dual-CPU Xeon workstation from just a few years ago, and for under $1500 you can build a beast that will do everything you could ever want it to do, and better than you could hope. I'll have new DIY build lists going up soon... stay tuned!
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:13 am

Great, thanks Jack!

I wasn't planning to start until Jan. anyhow so the timing is good.

We are going to be away over both Christmas and New Years so no work would get done anyhow. BTW, Alice and I both have iPads now so we can take our stuff with us. I find that showing videos on the iPad works really well.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues