They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Backup - Drive Image - Cloning

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: Backup - Drive Image - Cloning

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:57 pm

Yes, I did look at the instructions Gerlinde but that isn't quite what I am looking for.
I still have to remove the old drive and then install the new drive before copying the image to the new drive.
That is too much wasted time in my opinion. I need to be able to create the image directly to the new drive so that when it is installed it is ready to go. Acronis would create a clone of my primary drive in about 2 hours (250gb), after that all I had to do was install the new drive which is what I did. Then I would take the old drive and put it away in a safe place.

The instructions given for Windows 7 will take twice as long, hours to create the image and then more hours to restore the image to the new drive. This is exactly why I couldn't use NovaBackup or Paragon, they do it the same way Windows 7 does.
Unless I am misunderstanding something, but that is how I read the instructions.

Thanks for the help and the suggestion, wish I could use it as that would make life a lot easier :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I started using Win 7 but I really need to be able to create an exact duplicate of my drive to another drive. That way if the drive crashes I only have to replace one drive with the other. I can't find a way for Win 7 to do that.

Chuck, according to the User Guide for ATIH2011 Update 3, Acronis can handle your objective automatically.

Selecting Clone Mode.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:47 am

Hi George,
From my first post

Chuck wrote:I have used Acronis True Image successfully for a few years now and have had very good results.
With Windows 7 64 bit Acronis has some major issues that I just can't work around, and frankly don't have the time for.
Their customer support is terrible these days and I need a solution now.

At this point I refuse to purchase or use any Acronis product [-(
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:29 am

Chuck Engels wrote:At this point I refuse to purchase or use any Acronis product [-(

Interesting. Is this something you've discussed previously in another topic? I'd be very interested in hearing about the specific issues that you had Chuck.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Sure Dave, I don't mind letting you know what problems I have faced.

Installed Acronis True Image Home 2012
During the first install Acronis said that it found an old version of the software and needed to restart to complete the installation - there had never been any version of Acronis installed on this laptop, but I restarted as requested.

After that everything looked fine and installation said that it was successful and complete.
Went to attempt a simple backup, no source drives were visible only destination drives.

Tried a few other options and continued to get the error
"Failed to open (initialize) the computer"

Found a few suggested solutions on their forum, removed and installed the software at least 3 times. Still the same error over and over again and the software could still not see the source drive (C - Primary Internal Drive).

Contacted support, got a canned response that they had received my email and nothing since. That was over a week ago, no time for them anymore and don't care to purchase their products. There are many people that are unhappy with Acronis since Windows Vista and now with Windows 7, especially 64 bit support.

Anyway, that's my story...

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:43 pm

Wow - that's really weird. I hope that's not representative of the new version. I have 2010 and have thought about upgrading, but have followed George's posts with interest.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Wow - that's really weird. I hope that's not representative of the new version. I have 2010 and have thought about upgrading, but have followed George's posts with interest.

Bob has written that, if one has a version and a build that seems to work, one should probably not upgrade, as Acronis has a tendency to release new versions prematurely (while still buggy).

I have ATIH 2011, and it seems to be working well, so I have ignored all invitations to upgrade; however, all I have done with it so far is to create full backups of my C drive--I have not yet needed to peform an actual restore.

Now, after reading Chuck and Peru's posts, I'm considering whether I should also attempt to create a clone. Problem is, I am an ignoramus with regard to technical matters--and a klutz, too--so I'm not sure I'm capable of temporarily attaching a second drive to my motherboard the way Peru describes.

Question for Peru:
My machine has eSATA ports. Is it doable to buy a HDD that is intended for internal use but place it in an exterior case for the purpose of creating a clone via the sSATa ports and then, when my C drive fails, simply replace it with the clone?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:44 am

George Tyndall wrote:
Now, after reading Chuck and Peru's posts, I'm considering whether I should also attempt to create a clone. Problem is, I am an ignoramus with regard to technical matters--and a klutz, too--so I'm not sure I'm capable of temporarily attaching a second drive to my motherboard the way Peru describes.

If you are comfortable with fitting an internal into a case as described below, then you should be able to temporarily connect a second drive. I can probably find a tutorial on line if you want to give it a go.

Question for Peru:

My machine has eSATA ports. Is it doable to buy a HDD that is intended for internal use but place it in an exterior case for the purpose of creating a clone via the sSATa ports and then, when my C drive fails, simply replace it with the clone?

Good question.
I don't know. I've never tried it. :-k

It would be worth a try. :-
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 am

George Tyndall wrote:My machine has eSATA ports. Is it doable to buy a HDD that is intended for internal use but place it in an exterior case for the purpose of creating a clone via the sSATa ports and then, when my C drive fails, simply replace it with the clone?

That is exactly what I have done for years now George, but can't with this version of Acronis.
So far the EaseUS Todo Backup free version is working well, will try a clone today. Will clone to an internal drive in one of these http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0319674
That is one of the best things I have ever bought :) No need for an enclosure, just connect the BlacX docking station into a USB port on the computer and dock your drive. Create the clone, disconnect the drive and put it away for safe keeping. Or you can then swap the drives, which is what I do also. Then I will know that the clone is good, if there are problems I can always put the original drive back in the machine (have never had to do that however). Then the original drive goes on a shelf until time for the next cloning.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:That is exactly what I have done for years now George, but can't with this version of Acronis.
So far the EaseUS Todo Backup free version is working well, will try a clone today. Will clone to an internal drive in one of these http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0319674
That is one of the best things I have ever bought ....

Now we're talking!

Or, as Billy Crystal likes to say, "Fabulous, just fabulous!"

:tx: for sharing that information.

P.S. Is swapping the drives something that even an a self-admitted klutz can easily accomplish?

P.P.S. Please report back re the outcome of trying to make a clone.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:26 pm

It's pretty easy to swap drives George, maybe a couple of screws (depends on the manufacturer and the case), and two cables to unplug/plug (data and power). If you can get the cover off of the case I think you can handle it :)

Laptops are even easier, two screws, remove a cover and pop/slide the drive out.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:If you can get the cover off of the case I think you can handle it :)

I'll verify, tonight, the exact model of my internal drive and then order one from Newegg.

I must say, it'd be a dream come true if, in the event of a crash of my C drive, I could be up and running again in a matter of only minutes.

If it turns out that Acronis TIH2011 is not up to the task, were you successful with the free software that you mentioned?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:14 pm

I will be attempting the clone tomorrow, will let you know.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Cloning Update:
All I had for available drives was 250gb, the laptop drive is 500gb and about 280gb was used.
Had to free up some space and get the used space down to about 218gb but was able to clone the drive successfully.
To clone the 250gb drive it took 4 hours and 13 minutes, have not had time to install the cloned drive yet but will be doing that later today and will report back, so far so good.

The software is not very good at reporting "Time Remaining" but does have a progress bar that moves along very slowly.
The cloning takes place while I am logged into my computer and can run programs during the process without interrupting anything. With Acronis I had to restart my machine for it to do the clone and would do that in a DOS mode, I could not access anything on the computer during the cloning process, so this software is better in that regard. Acronis only took about 2 - 3 hours for the cloning (about 180gb at that time), so it was a bit faster.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tjodork » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Not sure whether I'm missing something but Norton Ghost has a "Copy My Hard Drive" option....which makes a duplicate of your drive....the other drive can be larger.
I am typically just backing up images but this function exists and Ghost has been around forever.
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

PreviousNext

Return to Computer Issues