They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

business opportunity for someone to author video DVDs

Have a [video] service you'd like to promote - whether online or at your home/office? Do you need a video related professional? This is the place. Post your inquiries, website links and requests for services here. Of course, no spam please ! - has to be digital video/photography related.

business opportunity for someone to author video DVDs

Postby Barb O » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Over on the Photoshop Elements forum at the Adobe site I am helping a gentleman who has created a slide show in Photoshop Elements 6 and wants to make a video DVD but does not have Premiere Elements or the Nero or Roxio variations of software that will author a DVD.

I think that this might be a business opportunity for someone here to author a few DVDs using the client's WMV file created by the PS Elements slide show as the video. I hope that someone will be interested because I think he has years of memories and family history he wishes to display via TV.

Barb

Here is a quote from his thread.
Here's where I am right now. I'm in the middle of a cold weather project wherein I'm scanning the 600 to 800 slides we accumulated through the years, approximately 200 old genealogy photos and umpteen other photos. My goal is editing, protecting, saving, identifying, sharing and coming up with some short slide shows. I bought PSE 6 because of my experience with Adobe Elements 2.0 and because I thought it would handle the DVDs - my mistake. I've created two slide shows, saved as WMV, burned a CD and played on our TV but I'm not happy with the quality. I'm pleased with PSE 6 - does everything I want and more - but with 300 or 400 photos to go I'm looking for a simple and easy way/program/software to take the saved WMV project in PSE 6 and burn it to a DVD.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: business opportunity for someone to author video DVDs

Postby Barb O » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:55 am

Hi - I am back again to say that my initial post may be a false alarm. The gentleman may decided to buy additional software and do it himself after all.

Barb O
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Cinde » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:14 pm

I assumed you were already helping the gentleman.

I also assumed you were suggesting a business opportunity that we could do in our local areas. Which by the way is a good suggestion.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Cinde,

Thanks for posting.

I was not actually planning to do his DVDs, so if he does change his mind and want to pay someone, I will contact you.

Yes, I do think there is a business opportunity in general. Yet there are considerations that could give you grief. So when pricing, I would figure on redos.

Considerations on how you would receive their WMV output -
I would have suggested a USB flash drive because a 2 GB flash drive is not too expensive and would have future uses for him after this project. Writing the WMV file as a data file to a CD would be another possibility if it would fit.

Considerations on how you process this WMV file -
You might want to convert this WMV file to a DV-AVI file using Movie Maker. Depending on what software you use to author the DVD, it might handle a DV-AVI file better than a WMV file.

Considerations about their satisfaction with the final output -
I think that this would be impacted by how effectively they review the WMV file from PSE before sending it to you. But there is also the consideration of the Safe Area for TV and PS Elements does not show Safe Area so people have no way to know what will be eliminated from the edges.

Considerations on dealing with people remotely-
I think that you currently deal with people who are relatively local to you.

If you want to do a trial of this process, let me know. I could create a PSE slide show WMV and send it to you.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Cinde » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Barb, thanks for the reply. However, at this time I don't think I'm up to the task. Perhaps someone else would be interested.

Currently I work exclusively with local clients who provide printed photos (that I scan) or digital photos. I recently finished a nice pan n zoom video using Photoshop Elements 5, transferred into Premier Elements 3 to burn the DVD.

I know the basics to edit the video I produce for my personal use, but still not comfortable enough to work on a video someone else has produced.

You said "If you want to do a trial of this process, let me know. I could create a PSE slide show WMV and send it to you."
I think that would be a good learning experience for me. So If you don't mind I may take you up on your offer in the future.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Cinde wrote: So If you don't mind I may take you up on your offer in the future.

Sure - just send me a Private Message on this forum any time that you wish to try a sample wmv file.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Business Services