They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Mac Questions

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Mac Questions

Postby Greg mgm » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Not exactly what section to put my questions in, but have some general questions about using a Mac.

First, in Safari, is there a "back" feature where you can go back a few pages, like you can on Firefox? It would be nice to go back 3 pages with one click instead of clicking several times.

Next question is about video files. I'm finding 3 files with the same #. For example one is MVI_0381, which plays in Quicktime as a series of jpegs but with normal audio sound. Codec is Photo - JPEG, Linear PCM. Next is MVI_0381.mov 1280x720 Apple Intermediate Codec, Linear PCM 27mb. Last is MVI_0381.MOV 1280x720 H.264, Linear PCM 19mb. The last 2 play in QT and look equally good. Not sure why there are 3 versions of that vid, any ideas? Which one should I use to store on my external HD?

I should add that video was from a digital camera. FIles were downloaded to the computer in Iphoto. Do Mac's generate the different versions automatically?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Mac Questions

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Greg mgm wrote:
First, in Safari, is there a "back" feature where you can go back a few pages, like you can on Firefox? It would be nice to go back 3 pages with one click instead of clicking several times.

Ctrl + H will bring up the History window where you can go back to a specific place.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:33 pm

You can also click and hold on the back button arrow in Safari, you will see the back-history for your current browsing session.

As for the file issue -- I'm not clear on the question, Greg. Where did you find these three video clips with the same name? Did they come from the camera that way?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:You can also click and hold on the back button arrow in Safari, you will see the back-history for your current browsing session.

Oooh! That works in IE9 (and maybe previous version?) too. Didn't know that. I just figured out a couple days ago that a right-click on the back button will also bring a list of previous pages.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Greg mgm » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:00 pm

As usual, thanks guys.
Clicking and holding the back button works great...Me likey.
I'm finding those files in finder...."all movies". It shows the different versions in either icon or list mode.
Sorry...I'm new to Macs, so just learning at this point, but originally I dragged the pics from the camera to the mac, then imported them to imovie. I edited a project then made some dvd's. Now I want to archive the original files to an external hard drive. Looking in "finder" shows 3 versions of the same file #. I wonder if this has something to do with imovie? Maybe it creates a AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) version to work with? I tried looking on the Apple forums (https://discussions.apple.com) but they're down for maintenance. :(
Hopefully what I posted made sense?!!? Thanks a lot again for the help.

Steve Grisetti wrote:You can also click and hold on the back button arrow in Safari, you will see the back-history for your current browsing session.

As for the file issue -- I'm not clear on the question, Greg. Where did you find these three video clips with the same name? Did they come from the camera that way?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 am

They could be iMovie files.

But you say you dragged from the camera to your computer. That would imply that they also existed on the camera BEFORE you added them to iMovie. Is that right?

First, I'd ensure your Mac has the option turned on to show file suffixes. Then I'd stick to working with files whose suffixes I can identify (.jpg, .mov, .psd, etc.). Those other files may just be work files and aren't necessary to your work.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Greg mgm » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:43 am

You're probably right about them being work files. Just to learn more about the mac/ editing process, Im going to experiment a bit today with a new imovie vid project to see at what point those other files appear. I'll report back later.

On a different note, I got FCE loaded and have it almost figured out. It's fairly similar to PE so for me its been easy to learn.

Thanks again for the help!
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Greg mgm » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:32 pm

OK, figured this out.

Shot a new test project, then dragged the files onto the Imac. I'll just use the first clip # for an example-
What showed in "Finder" was MVI_0719.MOV. That's the original video right off the camera (H264)
Also showing up is MVI_0719.jpg which is the first image on the video. It's the image that you see (in Finder) in "Icon" mode.

Then I opened Imovie and imported the test project video files. Imovie processed (rendered) the video automatically.
I immediately looked in Finder and found 2 new versions of the file #. First was MVI_0719 which is "Photo-JPEG 160x90.
The other version is MVI_0719.mov Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) 1280x720. Apparently Imovie uses this codec for editing.

So there you have it. The extra versions of the original video are used for editing, processing, etc, and not needed if you want to archive the original video like I'm about to do. Hopefully this will clear up confusion for other Mac users. If I posted any incorrect info, please bust me on it!! :)
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Makes sense now, Greg! Glad you got it figured out.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:35 am

Yes, good to know, thanks. I must admit I was never tempted to even open iMovie as a couple of years ago I switched directly to FCE having a pretty similar interface to PE. I used that until the beginning of this year when I took the plunge and bought FCP with which I've been happy but, as you may well have read, the new FCP has just been announced for a fraction (about one third or less depending on where you live) of the price of what I paid. NBD. Anyway, this new version has a lot of interface similarities with iMovie so you could be in for a pleasant surprise Greg.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Greg mgm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:46 am

Hi Brian. I used imovie just to see what happens with the video files. Last weekend I bought FCE and have been learning it, and so far I like it. Definitely better than imovie and like you and Chuck said, similar to PE. Interesting the price is lower on the new version of FCP. I can afford to pay for FCP but really can't justify it, since I've been happy with cheaper consumer editing software. It's a bummer we don't have advanced notice of new software releases....ha ha like that would happen!

Just had a quick look at what you mentioned- FCPX. $299. DOH!!....I would have purchased that...but I didn't know! :-8
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Enjoy FCE in the meantime Greg. With PE experience you'll be happy with what you find in FCE and in your case it'll be a natural path into this new version of FCP.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to MAC