They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Imovie vs Final Cut Express

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Imovie vs Final Cut Express

Postby Greg mgm » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:12 pm

I've had an Imac for a year and have just edited my first video. By far it's the most stable editing I've done so far. My previous experience has been mostly with PE 3 and 7 and a bit of Ulead Videostudio. I like the layout of PE the best, but REALLY like not having my editing program crash. PC's and PE have been "buggy" for me.

I don't like how you trim clips, then have to drag files into another box for more editing, effects and titles in Imovie. It makes more sense to keep all the work in the timeline. I can't find a trial download with Final Cut Express and wondering what the difference is between Imovie and FCE?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Imovie vs Final Cut Express

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:16 pm

I think you will find that FCE and Premiere Elements are very similar, shouldn't be too much of a transition for you.
I don't know if you can really compare FCE to iMovie, kind of like trying to compare Movie Maker with Premiere Elements.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Greg mgm » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:55 pm

The comparison between Movie Maker and PE answers the question. Looking at FCE in my future. Thanks Chuck.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:49 pm

I would have said exactly what Chuck said. I used PE for years and made the transition to FCE almost two years ago.

I've written about the stability issue elsewhere in this section. Maybe I was unlucky and most people never had this issue but I feel a lot more relaxed once I'd made the transition to FCE (and now FCP).
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Greg mgm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks for the reply Brian. I really like working with PE but have had issues with stability on PE 3 and 7, on 3 different PC's. Looking forward to FCE. BTW, how do you like FCP?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 am

FCP is considerably more expensive but has some really good things that I'm in the process of getting aquatinted with: multicam editing, mixed formats on the same timeline (actually, PE wasn't bad at that when it didn't crash for me), a 'smoothcam' effect that I'm pretty impressed with, speed changing tools, a few other things I can't think of right now and of course stability?

One thing I found very handy in FCE (and FCP of course) is that you can cut and paste between 'sequences' which are the equivalent of projects in PE7. Any number of sequences (and the projects of which they are part) can be open at any time. If you ever use Paste Attributes you're going to LOVE how they've implemented it in FCE. I could go on and on but lunch is ready!
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Greg mgm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Quote "and of course stability?"
Ya, that's the best part!

That's great info on FCP, thanks for the reply.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Greg mgm » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:45 am

Is there any way to know when a new version of FCE will be released?
Version 4 was released quite a while ago, in 07, so hoping for any info.
And yes....wishful thinking... :-D
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Straight off I'd say the Apple site itself or, probably better, you could easily subscribe to the appropriate Macworld newsletters at http://www.macworld.com/newsletters/ind ... rce=mwtout and not forgetting to take a look at http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=936 where there will be quite a stir :-)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Greg mgm » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks Brian. I just spent some time in those forums....very informative. Thanks for the links.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to MAC