They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What about Final Cut Express section for us Mac users?

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Re: What about Final Cut Express section for us Mac users?

Postby Elvira » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi Dee Dee, I'll be happy to stick around, I'm a big geek and a tremendous windbag! :-D And thanks you guys, for the links to the plug-ins! :mrgreen:

I found your posts to be extremely enlightening, especially about cost. This is something that is frequently brought up when comparing Macs and PCs. You're right when you point out that you're getting a one-platform machine when you get a PC. For me, this would never be enough.

Some Mac users don't want to use Windows, so they'll save their disk space and never install VMWare or Bootcamp. Some Windows users don't want to use Mac OS, so they'll stick with PCs. Both are viable choices. But for me, it's got to be both. And if I pay a little more for that, then it's money (my money! :mrgreen: ) well spent. I'm getting what I want; I'm getting what I'm paying for, and I'm happy!

As far as Premiere vs. Final Cut Express–I probably sound like I'm being really hard on Premiere Elements . . . well in a way I am, but in a way not. Okay, I admit to being bitter about having to uninstall Premiere Elements 4 and reinstall 3. That is completely unacceptable. (I would think it was just me or something I did, but the reviews on Amazon.com tell me otherwise. :roll: ) So, yes, I'm bitter. ;) But when I get past that, the fact is that Premiere Elements has a lot going for it and I find it to combine ease-of-use and robustness for a low price. (I admit it, I also might prefer it in part because it's not dissimilar to Final Cut Express.)

Comparing Premiere Elements to another consumer favorite–Sony Vegas Movie Studio–I definitely prefer Premiere Elements. Vegas Movie Studio only has 4 video tracks. I can frequently go through that many and more, and Elements allows me to do so. Vegas has a funky interface–Premiere's is more traditional and familiar (and not just for Mac users, but for Windows users as well). So, a big thumbs up for Premiere when stacked up against other consumer level Windows software. (Well, except for that it doesn't always WORK! [-( ) But when Adobe gets Premiere 4 patched up and working fine, then big thumbs up. ;)

Dee Dee, yes, I do think it's also a matter of what you're used to. I don't begrudge you missing Premiere Elements, but speaking as someone who is working from the opposite direction, I think there's enough happy similarities between both programs, that you'll adjust in time. I find that the more time I spend with Elements, the easier it becomes for me. But since Final Cut Express is a more expensive program, it makes sense that it has more goodies–and it clearly does.
Elvira
New User
New User

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Hey Elvira, that price thing is something that gets under my skin too. At another forum I was at it was claimed that Mac products were 75-100% more expensive, and then cited some bottom end (imho cheaply together systems for $500 - in a market in which Apple has simply chosen not to compete in).

I haven't even tried PE4 so I can't speak to the installation issues. I had just bought PE3 when the new one came out and I was making the switch to a Mac, so I didn't buy the new version. And as luck may have it, I just bought FC3.5 when FC4 came out, which is now $100 cheaper. - however they cut out Soundtrack, and I am not too happy about that, claiming that Garageband can do all of that - but I don't think Garageband has all the integration that Soundtrack has.

The video that came with FC has proven to be very useful, and I have the Visual Quick Start book to use. One thing though, and you may be able to help me (and sorry if this question sounds stupid) - but I don't use these programs for home movies, I like to create my own music videos from TV shows I like (for an idea if you are interested go to You Tube and search for the user DarthXena - I have two Xena videos and one "24" video). So with FC, will I be able to bring in the mpeg clips that I have from these shows (I rip them and convert the VOBs using Mac the Ripper and VisualHub)? It is like my little creative hobby.
Dee Dee Warren

Postby Elvira » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Dee Dee! Dee Dee! :shock: We were separated at birth! I also do fan videos! :oops:

I'm going to send you a PM. I have made quite a study of making fan videos on a Mac. :D

I find that I can get excellent video quality with Final Cut Express (or Pro). Macs have all the applications and resources we need to make great fan videos.
Elvira
New User
New User

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:41 pm

Wow! I am so glad that I found someone else who likes to make those videos! I am in a bit of a lull because I haven't got so much into a new tv show to make one - I really liked Jericho but didn't have enough exciting elements, and with the writers strike, nothing good coming out for a while. I look forward to your PM. I probably will make a few more Xena videos, the show with its fantasy elements lends itself really well.
Dee Dee Warren

Postby Elvira » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:21 pm

:lol: There's quite a substantial subculture of fan video enthusiasts out there! And the amount of Mac fan vidders is growing all the time.

I have sent you a (long :shock: ) PM. I missed your reference to your YouTube videos! :-D

(Pardon me, I'll stop now. Dee Dee and I can resume our fangirlishness via PM! ;) )
Elvira
New User
New User

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi Elvira, thanks for the PM, I am going to check out the site and material tomorrow - I have to get offline for the night. I hope you like the 24 vid - tried to keep a Jack and Nina string going through it.
Dee Dee Warren

Previous

Return to MAC