They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Ergonomics of 24" iMac

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Ergonomics of 24" iMac

Postby ryan_khoo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:32 pm

I am posting here my experience of using the 24" iMac. But this has nothing to do with the computing aspect.

When I first got it up, I was amazed at the experience of using the huge screen. The experience was good.

Soon, my neck was getting ache. I realized this was because my neck have to keep turning UP to look at the huge screen. I also tried sitting further away from the screen. But it doesn't work. The screen is too huge for the current parameters (ie table height 750mm, chair sitting height 450mm). So to solve the problem, I grabbed my bar tool chair (sittng height 750mm) to use. But this has the opposite affect as I have to keep looking down.

So, I went to Ikea to buy a cheap chair with a seating height of 640mm. Now my head level against the screen is acceptable. But then, another problem crop up. With that chair, my legs are not able to touch the floor comfortably. After two days in this sitting postion, I developed backache.

Soon, with the neck ache plus the back ache couple with some lack of sleep, I was down fever. Went to see a doctor & he said I got to change my sitting postion or else all these fever will occur again.

So, after resting for a week, I have recovered. The first thing I did was to throw away all the existing tables & chairs and start from scratch as I have made up my mind I do not want to be sick again. No more adhoc solution. So, I went to Ikea again. This time I bought a proper table and chair. This time I bought a table where the height of the table is adjustable and my feet now can comfortably touch the floor.

Hopefully now I am alright. I realized now certain things I cannot stinge on especially when it affect my health.

I hope this experience & info is useful to others who may want to purchase a 24" iMac in future.

Cheers
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Ergonomics of 24" iMac

Postby Briantho » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:46 am

I found this most interesting. I use two screens most of the time which, I suppose, could present similar problems but so far I've been lucky. Or perhaps my short attention span has been my saviour... :)

Anyway, I'd be most interested to know how you get on with the new arrangement.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:50 am

So I guess there IS such a thing as too much of a good thing!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:57 am

Hm-m-m, I've not used a 24", but have had dual 21" (CRT's) for about 15 years now and wouldn't give them up for anything (other than maybe dual 30" Mac Cine monitors). Now, I do have a custom desk unit, but it's pretty much standard height, with just more "real estate" at a chamfered corner. With the dual CRT's, in a loose "V," I have room for my Wacom 12x9 tablet, right in the middle front. I did go with a set of Herman-Miller Aeron chairs (one for the edit suite, and one for the table with my laptop) and these made all the difference in the world, as I can adjust everything, especially the arm/hand positions. Ergonomics of a system's setup are so often overlooked.

Hope all goes great for you now, Ryan and thanks for reporting,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Hunt, I'll bet you like to sit in the front row at movies! ;)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:30 am

Not usually, as the audio is not good there. I like about 1/3 back and centered. Also, if I get the center, I can always tell folk to exit on "their" side of the row, as it's shorter than climbing over me!

One thing that I did have to do with my monitors was pull back the rez a bit, cause the type was just too small to see when I cranked up the Quadro 4500. The type, and icons, were sharp as heck, but oh-h-h so tiny!! I found that I was having to lean across my Wacom to see anything.

Now, if Mac will just get everything worked out for their Cine 30's to work with my PC, I might make the plunge.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 pm

Just an update. I am feeling fine now as I have recovered.

I have been doing some limited research on this ergonomics for the 24" iMac by asking & discussing with all my friends who owns a 24" iMac.

I discovered that basically all my American & European friends have no problem with it while most of my Asian friends have some form of neck ache.

So, can I generalized here that since Steve Jobs is an American, so when Apple designed it, the data they have on dimensions of human body were that of Americans. So, since Asians are generally shorter, they will have some form of neck ache if they need to keep looking up for too long.

If my theory is correct, then our friends like Steve Grisetti, Briantho & Bill Hunt must be tall Americans. :lol:
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 pm

Or we sit on a big, thick telephone book as we work! ;)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:39 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Or we sit on a big, thick telephone book as we work! ;)

Hahaha, I should have done that :lol:
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to MAC