They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Mac advice

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

New Mac advice

Postby don731 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:17 am

Hi! I currently use a 2011 MacBook Air (I7)with PE14 connected to a Dell monitor for editing. I will be in the market for a new Mac (does not need to be a notebook) in the next few months. Looking at the new IMacs with 4K/5K but also at a refurb Mac Pro, realizing it's using 2013 processor.

Any advice? Would like to keep the price at $3K or less.

Thanks!
Don W.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
don731

Re: New Mac advice

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:37 am

Refurbs are a great deal, in my opinion. They can save you a good 20%, and they're Apple certified, so they're essentially as good as new.

That said, what computer you get will depend on how powerful a box you want and how much you want to pay.

For most users (including video editors) an iMac is more than enough power for between $1000 and $2000.

Unless you're a video or graphics professional who uses all pro programs, wants the hottest engine on the market and has $3-4k to spend on hardware alone, I don't think a Mac Pro is a necessary investment.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi Don,

Ditto what Steve said. Apple refurbs rock!

I have a refurb 13" MacBook Pro with retina display (late 2013) that I bought in spring 2014 with 3yrs of AppleCare. It has i5 CPU, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. I have used it to create many videos using Final Cut Pro X with 4k source footage. The only time the laptop gets bogged down is when I insert 3D titles. Otherwise, editing on the MBP is very responsive. I think I paid around $1300 for it, which at the time was about $300 less than new. I also made the jump to FCPX because I didn't want to pay monthly for Premiere Pro CC.

Unless mobility is important, Steve's recommendation for an iMac is excellent. When my Windows desktop PC dies, I will replace it with a refurb iMac. I love editing on FCPX and the Mac.

- Ron
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby don731 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Thanks guys! This is the real world advice I need. I love my 24" Dell monitor, and if Apple updates the Mac Mini line with quad core Skylake CPUs, I might take a look at 'em. Otherwise, an iMac is probably in the cards. I've bought a few small refurbs (like Apple TV), and have been totally satisfied. Where is the best place to learn FCP?

Cheers,
Don
don731

Postby Briantho » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:54 am

The first FCPX course I bought was from Izzy at http://store.izzyvideo.com He does well paced comprehensive and reasonably priced courses for both FCPX and Motion (and maybe others, I haven't looked) and I wouldn't be doing the regular multicam, theatre-based stuff I do without him. All the same, because all this stuff is my main hobby (and it all works out much cheaper than golf or boats) I also bought annual memberships with Larry Jordan. I've attended the BVE in London a few times and seen him speak there - impressive.

Obviously there are overlaps between the two lots of courses but I regarded all that as useful reinforcement. Both trainers are excellent, Larry's probably work out a bit more expensive but for what you get (to keep) I'd say it's well worth it.

I'm sure others here will have more ideas including Lynda courses but I didn't take up that option. Two good courses were enough for me.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:49 am

And I can't resist recommending my alma mater, http://lynda.com
;)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:13 pm

I vote for Ripple Training for FCPX training. I have bought four courses from them; FCPX, Color Correction in FCPX, Audio Correction in FCPX, and Motion. The courses are all less than $50 each and contain amazing content. The Ripple courses are maintained in a "locker" on their website and you can also download them to your machine. Steve Martin and Mark Spencer do a phenomenal job!

I took the Lynda FCPX course but found the Ripple Training course to be much more informative and "hands on".
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby don731 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:09 pm

This is all great advice! Thanks!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
don731

Return to MAC