They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Camcorders - HDR - HC5/HC7

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Sony Camcorders - HDR - HC5/HC7

Postby Maxine370 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:09 pm

Cameras

Anyone using either of these cameras? I'm looking for a new camera but I still want the MiniDV format (getting harder to find the newer features on these nowadays). These look pretty nice because of the duality. Also like the 4.6 megapixel stills. I'm curious about shooting in 16:9. I still have a 4:3 TV... what will happen to my videos. Can I edit in 4:3?

These look like nice cameras.

Any opinions.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:16 pm

Don't have much to add...yet , but it's time for us to start thinking about our next camcorder. (Currently have a Canon Optura 10) Everytime I go into Best buy I'm drawn over to the Canon HV10.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Ca ... Review.htm

Definitly gonna follow this thread and I'll chip in with anyhting I find.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 am

The newer camcorder like the HC5/HC7 have much better low light performance then the earlier CMOS sensor devices (like the one in my HC1). Which is important if you do a lot of shooting indoors, you dont want grainy HDV video.
I follow the SONY HDV forum where they discuss the performance merits of the various units and you can see sample footage. There is a thread dedicated to the HC5/HC7:
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/

Also the Canon models have a good reputation the newer HV20 is about to be released (which removes many of the limitations of the HV10). It is discussed in the above forum as well. And here is a thread that discusses the Sony HC7 verus Canon HV20:
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=8831

For a 4:3 standard TV I guess you would be downconverting to SD format for viewing... so the 16:9 video would be letterboxed on your TV. You can not really edit in 4:3 format.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Vera S » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:56 am

A friend of mine supposes buying a new cam this spring. He is thinking of the Panasonic NV-GS 320.

Camera

I'm owner of a NV-GS 75 and very contented, because the 3CCD chip gives high quality footage with excellent colours.

What's your opinion?

Thanks,
Vera
Vera S
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob D » Mon May 14, 2007 10:44 am

In my never ending quest to be prepared to purchase my next camera, I went to BB a few weks ago to see the Canon HV20. I read up on this camera and technically it seems like the best, given my price range and desire for HD. I currently have a Canon Optura 20 and have been happy with it except for the loading mechanism, which has failed me twice in the 3 years I have had it (currently sitting in a box waiting to be repaired). Of course, my previous camcorder to this was a Sony Hi8mm camera. I liked that one too!

Anyway, my point is that I tried the HV20 and found the form to be difficult for my hands. In particular it was the ability to use the zoom control. I happened to be going through CC the other day and saw the Sony HC5. I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised by how well it operated in my hand. So now I'm on the Sony HC kick. :lol:

I've read through the other forums, and again, technically people seem to lean towards the HV20, but I am wondering if anyone here has the HC5 or 7 and can provide their input. Also, I see from the Sony site that this camera takes a "Memory Stick". Is this the same thing as a SD (secure Digital) card?

Bob D
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon May 14, 2007 11:56 am

The Memory Stick Pro is used for still photos and is much the same as an SD card, just a different type.
Regarding the HV20 v HC7 (the HC7 is better than the HC5, has optical rather than electonic image stabilization plus some other features)... most comment that the HV20 has slightly better low light and overall picture quality than the HC7. Having said that the picture quality of the HC7 is still very, very good if it is anything like my HC1. And as you comment many folks have problem with handling the HV20... particuarly that little zoom wheel. And they also comment that it feels "cheap"...
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Mon May 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Also, I see from the Sony site that this camera takes a "Memory Stick". Is this the same thing as a SD (secure Digital) card?

No, my understanding Sony has their own proprietary card format. You won't be abel to use your SD cards.
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob D » Mon May 14, 2007 2:25 pm

That's what I thought. It's such a shame. I have SD cards laying around that I use for my Canon SD550 Powershot camera. I though it would be nice to reuse for the Sony, but wasn't sure.

Bob D
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon May 14, 2007 4:22 pm

I have a Sony HC1 and it is a huge jump forward to go to HD. One I looked at the footage on the plasma TV and I was hooked. I could almost count the hairs on my sons head it was so clear.

It is my understanding that the new Sony’s do a better job in low light too. I also was able to set my old camcorder (Sony TRV 80) to 16x9 so now I can do 2 camera shots with ease.

At first I was not sure about the 16x9 format but it really adds to the viewing experience. I also use wide angle lenses and I think it makes the video look more professional. I am a big fan of the steadycam flying shots so I think you get a smoother look with the 16x9.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Greg mgm » Tue May 22, 2007 3:25 pm

Sorry I cant comment on the Hc5 or Hc7 but Ive had an Hc3 for a few months now, and Im very happy with it. Low light videos look great. I dont have a HD TV yet, but the video looks very sharp on my regular TV, sharper than cable at least. Most of the controls are menu based, but you can prioritize them in the menu to get to the more frequently used options easier. One bad thing is theres no mic input! I was able to find an adapter from B&H that goes on the active shoe which adds an eighth inch input. Dont plan on a video input either! My opinion is this camera is a great unit, and very easy to use, but not really for pros.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ksnielsen » Thu May 24, 2007 9:48 am

I have a Sony HDR-HC7. It does not use an SD memory card, but the type it uses isn't proprietary either. I really like the wide format and it's ease of use. I love that I can connect a microphone to it and have used that feature several times already with great success. It is easy to operate. The image quality is awesome. Everything I have done so far has been down converted to standard format but the picture quality far exceeds my former Hi-8 camcorder. I haven't even looked at the Canon camcorder be cause I purchased my sony prior to that one being released so I can't comment on that. Good luck on your choice!
Karen
ksnielsen

Postby Bob D » Thu May 24, 2007 1:05 pm

An update to my camera saga. My Canon Optura 20 has been broken, with a bad loading mechanism. I thought it might be a good opportunity (excuse) to upgrade to a new camcorder (Hi-Def!!!). In the meantime I have been using my son's Canon ZR?? for the last few weeks. I now realize I will be fixing my Optura 20 instead of purchasing a new camcorder.

It all comes down to the LCD screen to me. My Optura 20 has 3.5" screen. My son's ZR?? has a small one. I struggled with it. All the new camcorders have 2.7" LCD screens. I think I will wait until they figure a way to incorporate a larger LCD screen in a compact design.

Bob D
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu May 24, 2007 11:09 pm

I almost always use the viewfinder instead of the screen. I use two hands, supporting them with the elbows on my chest. It makes a three-point support for camcorder. I get real smooth, steady shots that way. The batteries last longer, too. I don't know what you guys do with these vest-pocket size camcorders. How do you hold them steady? I would rather have a "real" camcorder that balances on my shoulder but that will probably never happen.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rustysterling » Fri May 25, 2007 1:51 pm

I've thought about getting and HD1 as a second HD camcorder. I have a Sony HDR FX1 that I just love. It was more camcorder than I needed but now that I have it I'm loving the quality and the control I have in making videos. And hooked up to my 50" HDTV it's awesome. Yeah baby, that's the kinda clarity I'm talkin' 'bout.
Abit IP35 Pro MoBo|Q6600 CPU GO 2.4Ghz|4x1G Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400 RAM|WD Raptor 150GB HDD|(2) Seagate 320GB RAID 0|LG Blu-Ray/DVD R/RW|Pioneer DVD/CD R/RW|Vision Tek HD2600 Pro 512Mb|Windows XP Pro SP2|PC P&C PSU 610 Silencer|Cooler Master 690 case
rustysterling
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Camcorders