They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Monopod tips?

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Re: Monopod tips?

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Good info. Thanks for the follow-up Cheryl. So this is just the basic monopod, no quick-connect head attachment or swivel? If the minimalist approach works then no need to spend the extra bucks.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:43 pm

BTW, I have a swivel head, that I use on both the monopod and tripod. BUT, I don't use it with the monopod much - just move it around as needed.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:02 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Good info. Thanks for the follow-up Cheryl. So this is just the basic monopod, no quick-connect head attachment or swivel? If the minimalist approach works then no need to spend the extra bucks.

I purchased the Manfrotto 790B with no attachment. The minimalist approach was definitely what I was looking for. Something light, easy to pack, and to help steady shots.

The reviews are very good for the Manfrotto 560B and almost went with that model. It has 3 small feet for a stand with a ball swivel in the base.

The reviews for the 790B mentioned that the strap comes undone, which it did often. I tried rethreading it a different way and that helped, but will add a few stitches to keep it together permanently. The handle grip was very comfortable.

It was easy to move around extended with the camcorder attached. This will work well when I shoot a graduation or roving at a family event.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:51 pm

I've got an August birthday. Hmmmmm......
Maybe I should add to my list. :-k

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Whenever I grab my camcorder I also grab the monopod. In its collapsed mode it is small enough to use the camcorder with monopod like a pistol grip and I get much steadier shots. I recently used it driving through the Badlands of SD. I positioned the camcorder on the monopod outside the car window extended with the base resting in the car door latch. The video was incredibly smooth and I could drive and hold the camera. As a matter of practice I always thank my wife for indulging in my video lunacy as I am sure I must have looked funny to the other cars on the road.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 am

Great idea Sidd! The road must have been fairly smooth too? As for the lunacy, my husband indulges me too.

Teens are odd too. The first day of vacation they treated me like the paparazzi. But, after seeing the clips & photos that night they changed their tune and asked me throughout the week if I was bringing the camera or camcorder or gave me a heads up to shoot this or that.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:47 am

That is a good idea Sidd. I have a mini-project that I want to do and you've given me some ideas. I'd like to tape an approach to our church. It's in a wooded residential neighborhood at the "T" end of a straight stretch of relatively quiet street. As you near the church the trees open up and the church is revealed. I thought it would make a great opening for a marketing video that I'm making.

I've been trying to figure out how to tape this smoothly. I don't think shooting through the windshield is a very good way to do it, but I also can't figure out how to hang out of the window and keep the camcorder stable. When you said "car door latch" were you talking about a door handle? Our cars don't have handles that stick out; they retract flush with the door. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 am

I found this picture on the internet and photoshopped the monopod in for a visual.
The part on the door where you grip to pull the car door closed is like a shallow cup that I place the end of the monopod in. I then just extend the monopod to the desired height. One concern is to use a swivel head so that you can level the camcorder to the horizion. I then just hold the monopod tightly against the car so it does not move around. Once I download the badlands video I will post it here so you can see the result.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks so much for all of your trouble Sidd. Now I understand. I thought you were hanging the pod on the outside of the vehicle. This makes more sense. My problem is that I need to shoot straight ahead instead of to the side. Hmmmm....

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm

I position the camera high enough above the car that you do not see any car. I am using a wide angle lens on the camcorder too. Also, since I film from the drivers side, the video looks like I am driving down the center of the road. I just finished downloading the badlands video so I will post it sometime later today.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:55 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while today. The son-in-law has a pick-up truck. I'm thinking maybe the thing to do would be to stand in the bed and shoot over the top. It would all be low speed, straight shot.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bobby » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:...son-in-law has a pick-up truck. I'm thinking maybe the thing to do would be to stand in the bed...

You would be right at home here in the South :-D
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Hahaha...not the sort of thing I would do on a regular basis. The local cops would frown on it if I got caught.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:09 pm

here is the video I shot driving through the badlands using a Sony HC5 with a wide angle lens and monopod.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 am

I see what you mean by looking like you are driving down the center of the road. :lol: That's enough from the normal driver's position that those cars in the opposing direction looked awfully close. 8-[

Did you apply any stabilization to that footage?
Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Camcorders