They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need Help With Captured Footage

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Need Help With Captured Footage

Postby Danlson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:02 pm

I captured footage from my Canon T2i DSLR camera. It is 1280X720 60fps and in .mov format. For some reason when I try to import in PE7 it gives the error code 36-I/O Error and won't open. The same happens in Premiere Pro 1.0. I have shot/captured and imported into PE7 from the same camera using the same settings. Any ideas on how this happened and if I can do anything about it? I've erased the footage from the cam so I can't capture again.

TIA
Danlson
New User
New User

Re: Need Help With Captured Footage

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Digital from still cameras -- especially if it's using non-standard frame sizes and frame rates -- will need to be converted before you can use it in Premiere Elements. You'll likely need to purchase Quicktime Pro ($29.95 from Apple) to edit this video or even convert it to an editable format.

My Steve's Tips article on converting video for Premiere Elements provides details.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

The other solution would be to purchase the Pro version of the software, Premiere CS4. It handles a much wider variety of video formats.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm curious as it seems that Danlson says that the video has imported before without problems.
Or am I wrong in that assumption?

If is used to work then something has changed, any idea what?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 am

Most digital cameras use MJPEG as the codec, but not this one. The Canon site says this model produces mov files using H.264 for the video and PCM for the audio (monaural if internal mike or stereo if external). It sounds like PE7 should import it unless the variant of H.264 is a problem.

But, that error code indicates a problem with the file -- it can't be read for some reason. It could be a defective file or it could be a permission issue. Can anything else play that file?
Bob

Postby Danlson » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:01 am

Bob wrote:Most digital cameras use MJPEG as the codec, but not this one. The Canon site says this model produces mov files using H.264 for the video and PCM for the audio (monaural if internal mike or stereo if external). It sounds like PE7 should import it unless the variant of H.264 is a problem.

But, that error code indicates a problem with the file -- it can't be read for some reason. It could be a defective file or it could be a permission issue. Can anything else play that file?

I think you are closer to what the problem may be. I don't remember exactly how I tried to open a clip, but once got a message about I do not have permission. I have a little program called "Unlocker" that automatically pops up in these situations and it wouldn't unlock it either. I suspect my PC has corrupted the file on capture or locked it for some reason. Too bad. This was clips I shot for the contest. Now I have to try to get it done this weekend with a new shooting session.
Danlson
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:31 am

I still recommend a conversion.

H.264 is not the same thing as AVCHD and, particularly with that non-standard size and frame rate, it's very likely beyond what Premiere Elements can handle natively.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Camcorders