They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HDV split not recognizing camcorder

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

HDV split not recognizing camcorder

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:15 pm

I know this should be drop-dead simple :oops: , but HDV split does not recognize my camcorder (new Canon HV40). Do I need to do anything in particular .. besides plugging USB cable from computer to camcorder :-D. I've tried a couple different USB ports .. and tried turning the camera on and off .. before and after opening HDV split. Yes, I do have some HD video recorded .. have scrubbed through it on the camcorder.

Edit: OK, now I'm really confused. Both PRE7 and HDV split talk only of firewire, but that isn't an option on this camera. So PRE7 does not recognize either.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: HDV split not recognizing camcorder

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:29 pm

The USB cable is for transferring photos from the SD card Jayell.
The camcorder hooks up via Firewire like any miniDV camcorder does.

There is a DV port, that is a 4 pin firewire connection. It shows that pretty clearly in the manual.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:07 pm

I hadn't come to that page yet :-D
Ah yes, hiding behind that hidden panel. I was looking for the word 'firewire.'
Thanks, Chuck. I only feel s-o-r-t-a silly :oops:
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:08 pm

... and don't forget it has to be set for HD output - I don't have my book or cam in front of me, but if it still isn't recognized that is probably the reason - let us know and I will look it up if needed.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:25 pm

That's why we are here Jayell, too help. No matter what the problem, big, small, or "where's the firewire jack?", that's Muvipix :)

I think the camcorder is set to HDV by default, you can see it in the display. It will say HDV for High Definition or DV or standard definition. You have to change the setting to DV-Lock to get a standard definition output.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Bobby wrote:... and don't forget it has to be set for HD output

That part I did do, Bobby. I've captured and brought it into PRE7 .. everything's fine.. Thanks.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:That's why we are here Jayell, too help. No matter what the problem, big, small, or "where's the firewire jack?", that's Muvipix :)

I know, Mommy, it's just that I knew it would be something simple .. but I was getting so frustrated I figured I better go for help :-D

Chuck Engels wrote:I think the camcorder is set to HDV by default

Yes, it was. I did confirm that before I started my big shoot (the backyard). I like taking video & photos of the yard every few years to see how things change through the years.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Camcorders