They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

lenses

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

lenses

Postby bonnie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Has anyone had experiance with telephoto add ons ? I am considering using a telephoto lens on my HD30,in order to get wildlife video, there is a lens made by Raynox which apparently is very good,though,naturally,one would have to use tripod,etc,any advice will be very gratefully recieved,bonnie
bonnie

Re: lenses

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Are you talking about clip-on lens that's added over your camcorder's zoom lens?

I use a wide-angle clip-on like this.
http://www.adorama.com/RXQC505.html

Can you show us a link to the kind of lens you're talking about?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:49 pm

My HV40 will take pretty much any screw on type lenses, 43mm.
There are telephoto lenses, filters, fisheyes, lots of cool stuff.
Don't know how good the telephoto lenses are though.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm

I recently purchased a Raynox HD-2200PRO-LE for my Sony HC1. It is a good lens but it with this type of lens I am forced to use a tripod, otherwise it is like shooting video on the ocean.

My only issue is that they seem to cause an extra amount of purple fringing. But it is still a cool lens.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby bonnie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:49 am

The raynox HD2200 is the lens I was considering,is it all its supposed to be ? and I doupt one could use it WITHOUT a tripod,bonnie
bonnie

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:25 pm

It is a quality lens. The one thing I notice that is common to all these types of lenses, is that when you have the camcorder set to fully wide, there is a black circle that appears around the outside of the image. I had to keep the camcorder zoomed about half way in to make sure this went away. So for me this was not so good as I was filming a soccer match and It made it difficult to not be able to use half of the cameras zoom function.

Maybe you could get an oversize telephoto lens and use an adaptor to connect to the camcorder. That way it might not show the black circle when set to fully wide. It would be a more expensive lens. (Just a thought, I have not done this)

If you are concerned about price I would suggest getting a cheap sun-pak zoom lens approx $20 an see if you can live with the above mentioned issues. I purchased both thinking the Raynox would not have this issue but it still did. As far as quality goes the lens on the raynox is pretty good. The housing is plastic which makes it light weight but kind of gives it a cheap feel to it.

Hope this helps.
Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby bonnie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks Sidd,I think we will find that most of these add ons will cause vignetting,especially in the telephoto line,but though,for me,its not a great issue,since I,m trying to record wolves,bears etc,while camping on the river,invariably the animals are on the other side of the river,!!!
I have got some shots using an ancient optex thing that I had used on an old panasonic analog,but there must be better lense's around,thanks for your comeback,have a good one,bonnie
bonnie

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:49 pm

bonnie wrote: I,m trying to record wolves,bears etc,while camping on the river,invariably the animals are on the other side of the river,!!!

How does that work that they are on the other side Bonnie? Sounds a little dangerous to me :-8
How do they know not to come over to your side for a little lunch? :dr:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bonnie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:43 pm

in thirty years of paddling these rivers,I've so far never had but one real scare,a very large black bear casually ambled though my campsite just after dark,not eight feet from where I was sitting,even had a small fire going,certainly non agressive but scared the %&^* out of me,most animals are more concerned about us than we of them,though just what this one was thinking is beyond me.
I hope to get better shots now that I've invested in the raynox 2200,up here,(western canada ) we come across cougers bears and wolves fairly frequently,but it is a challenge to get them on film,and almost impossable from a kayak !!!,,bonnie,
bonnie

Return to Camcorders