They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can I reuse Sony miniDV Premium tapes?

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Can I reuse Sony miniDV Premium tapes?

Postby rudympohl » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 am

Hi There:

I just bought a very well taken care of Sony DSR PD150 whose orginal owner only used Sony miniDV Premium tapes in it. These tapes cost me $5-6 each here in Canada (in a 5-pak) and I need to practice shooting with the camera as I'm a total rookie. Can I reuse these tapes a few times for practice without risking damage to my camera?

Thanks,
Rudy
rudympohl
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can I reuse Sony miniDV Premium tapes?

Postby Bobby » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Rudy.

I don't think there is ever a risk in re-using tapes as far as the camera itself goes. There may be some minor loss of lubricant on the tape over time, but I can't see it being that significant.

On the other hand, I never re-use tapes. It's an archival thing mostly.

If you plan to re-use the tapes professionally or for serious work, you might consider getting a bulk tape eraser to make sure there is nothing recorded from the previous version.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:56 am

I agree with Bobby, reusing tapes a time or two for testing purposes isn't going to cause any problems.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tiny » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:59 pm

I know a lot of people are concerned about a greater chance of a frame drop. But if it is for any non professional application, then I would think the risk of a frame drop more than justifies the savings of re-using tapes.
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm using Panasonic's Pro line and since I do a lot of taping of family and church events I just tape over them. Once I've got it transferred to the hard drive I make a backup copy and tag the tape as okay to record over. I have some that I've probably used at least 6 or 8 or more times without any dropouts ever encountered. No, I won't continue to use them forever, but I don't see any issues with this at all. I do agree, though, that if you have something that's important to have a perfect recording, use a new one.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 pm

With limited reuse, there should be no problem. However, I am with others in that I never reuse my tapes. I keep them for archiving.

Now, in the western US, Costco has 10 packs of high-quality miniDV tapes for US$20.00, so I have no problem doing things my normal way.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:23 pm

If you compare what we have invested in hardware and software, what's the cost of a few tapes? :)
Peru

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:21 am

My $0.02 as a Sony PD170 & PD150 owner...

Reusing tapes shouldn't cause any damage to the camcorder as long as you stick to one brand of tape and run a head cleaner from the same manufacturer every now and then. The real problem comes from mixing different tape brands or sometimes even different product lines within the same brand (the various types of lubricants can clash and gum up your cam's heads).

The only risk from reusing tapes is that you may start to get dropped frames as the tape wears out, so for any paying job or anything that can't be reshot - like a wedding - I would only use a new tape and use it only once.

My Sony PD's have only ever been fed Sony DVM60PR tapes ($2.25 each here in the States) and never reused, and I've never had a single dropped frame in almost 150 tapes!
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders