They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Saving "Scene Detect" Clips as Separate Files

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Saving "Scene Detect" Clips as Separate Files

Postby rusty » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:30 pm

I have now captured two 8 mm tapes using my friends Digital 8 camera and PRE7. The settings for the first tapecapture were to split the scenes by timecode. Of course, there are no timecodes so I have on enormous 2 hour file. I changed the settings for the second tape to split scenes by content and I believe it did that by running Scene Detect after the capture, so in my organizer and the project panels I have a whole pile of individual, fairly short clips. I think I can just run Scene Detect on the first one and end up with the same result as I did with the second one. In any event, I would like to save each clip as a separate file (I'll just label them numerically 1 to X) but I don't see a way to right click on a clip, whether I drag it to the timeline first or just try to do it from the list of media in the project panel. I suspect there is an easy way to do it - at one point before I discovered the timecode split when capturing from miniDV I manually split the big clip on the timeline and saved each clip, but I can't recall how I did it. I imagine it would be the same steps. Help appreciated as usual.
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Saving "Scene Detect" Clips as Separate Files

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:33 pm

You would have to export each clip as an AVI file, that's the only way.
When you capture analog material you don't have an option for splitting by timecode like you do with DV Tape.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rusty » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks a million Chuck - now that you say that, I think that is what I did before. Since I need to give the fellow back his camera, I'd better just capture each tape as a sngle file, and do any splitting later, either when working on a specific project or as a sub-project (maybe a good thing to do over the holidays). Cheers!
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:02 pm

Russ, you can use WinDV to split by time.

When I bring in old tapes (most of what I do), I have finally settled on cutting the clips into 5 minute intervals. That is long enough to work with, but short enough so that Windows disk compression, etc. isn't burdened down by a huge file. And sometimes I find that an entire 5 minute segment is not needed, but that is not often.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:35 pm

Good option Bobby, I use WinDV too but didn't even think about it splitting by time or file size #-o
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rusty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:44 pm

Great idea - I downloaded WinDV a couple weeks ago but haven't used it yet. I'll give it a try. Those 26GB files from a 2 hour 8 mm tape are just huge, but 24 five minute clips would be about perfect.
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Camcorders