They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

UV filter on HV40?

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

UV filter on HV40?

Postby peggig » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:59 pm

I always put a multicoated UV filter on my lenses when I purchase them, and leave it on all the time to protect the lens. I just ordered a filter for my new HV40, but then it occurred to me that the lens cap on this camera is built in, and opens/closes automatically when you turn the camera on/off. So the filter will be on the outside of the lens cap. I bought a Pelican case to store the camcorder in, so the filter will be rubbing against the foam whenever I take the camcorder in or out of the case, with no protection from a lens cap. Will that scuff or scratch the filter or rub off the coating? Should I buy an additional lens cap to put on over the filter?

Am I just being too anal about all of this? What do you guys do?
peggig
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: UV filter on HV40?

Postby Bobby » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:59 am

I always have the UV filter on mine, and yes I did buy a lens cap - fairly cheap as I recall.

Besides being worried about the lens itself, I think that those "butterfly" built-in lens caps are very fragile and wanted to protect that too. But the downside is now having to hold and remember to replace the "manual" lens cap. Oh well...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders