They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Recovering erased video

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Recovering erased video

Postby ridon127 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:36 pm

O.K. I have totally screwed up here. I taped over some important video. Is there anyway to recover it? It is on a 8mm tape. I can't believe i did that.. Help me, please.. or am I just screwed?
Thanks so much!!!
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Recovering erased video

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Sadly, I know of no way to recover erased tape, Donna. (Otherwise, Nixon would have been convicted years ago.) Sorry.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:38 pm

That's true what Steve said. It isn't like a computer hard drive where the erased/deleted stuff can still be recovered sometimes. When tape is recorded over it completely erases what was previously on the tape.

Sorry Donna :cry:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:54 pm

:pull: :pull: :pull:
i knew that was the answer before I asked..
thanks anyway guys..
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:35 am

Theoretically the spooks (spies, etc.) have techniques that could recover some. I think they work to some degree depending on the type of erase head used, and the slight mis-alignment that always occurs in helical scan tapes. But nothing you could do yourself - sorry.

Things I do:

1) always carry plenty of extra tapes, so there is no urge to have to re-use or fill a tape
2) whenever reviewing a portion of the tape, always restore the tape back to the end of the recorded area ASAP - don't wait.
3) take an important tape out of the camera immediately and flip the write-protect tab - see (1) - don't attempt to optimize tape usage by trying to cram everything you can on a tape.

I am not sure how you did it, and not sure if this stuff is even relevant, just suggestions.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks Bobby.. I am not real sure how i did it either..But it is done and nothing i can do now.. Thanks for the suggestions.. I will be more careful in the future..
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Oh, it does happen.

In the four dozen or so family VHS and D8 tapes that I am patiently (and almost done) putting on DVD, I have found two instances where I goofed up. I think that both were victims of item (2) above - in other words we wanted to preview the tape or show it to relatives and forgot to set the tape back to the end.

One in particular was Thanksgiving at a dear and now departed aunt and uncle's house. I would have given anything to get that back, but gone now. There is about 15 seconds of it and then it shifts suddenly to later in the day.

But we move on...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:38 pm

Bobby wrote:Oh, it does happen.

I think that both were victims of item (2) above - in other words we wanted to preview the tape or show it to relatives and forgot to set the tape back to the end.

I've done the same thing :-({|= sad but true.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:41 pm

ditto.. lost some good stuff of our oldest a few years ago.. difficult lesson...
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 am

I've been careless in another way:

I borrowed my wife's Canon EOS Rebel camera to take photos of my daughter's first time picking strawberries and bluberries. I was planning on making a wonderful slide show.

I'm used to point and shoot. I thought it was point and shoot. My wife had it on ISO 1600. It was a bright, sunny day. I now know what ISO 1600 means.

My wife tried to salvage the hundred or so photos in photoshop with out being able to save a single one. And so, like Bobby says, "But we move on..."
Peru

Return to Camcorders