They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HDV Tapes?

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

HDV Tapes?

Postby Spot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Ok so I've got my nice shiny HV40 home ( :yh: ) and reading the manual it talks about "using tapes specifically designed for high definition"?
My current DV tapes make no mention of HDV.
Is this just Canon hype or should I be out shopping for better tapes?
Cheers
JohnB
Woof
Spot

Re: HDV Tapes?

Postby tiny » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:39 pm

I've read a lot about this and the definitive answer is that you're wasting your money buying HDV tapes. Further I heard to stay away from Sony, as some of their tapes are treated with some liquid that can be abrasive on non Sony cams. Lastly I heard to pick a tape that is readily available where you live and then to stick with it, don't switch between brands. I've heard really good things about Panasonic. I use JVC simply because it is cheap and available. I've had no problems with it in my HV20.
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:44 pm

There's been a lot of talk about this both here and at HV20.com; just do a search and you'll find tons of info.

The bottom line is: tape is tape. Tapes labeled HD or HDV generally aren't that different from regular MiniDV tapes. They might be cut from the center of the tapestock sheet for greater conformity, but they might also just be relabeled bargain tapes. The best thing you can do for your video and your camcorder is to use name-brand tapes, use them only once, and stick with one brand. Mixing different brands (and sometimes different models within a brand) can ruin your camcorder's heads. I use only Sony DVM60PR tapes at about $2.50 a piece, because I already had a bunch of them for my Sony camcorders when I got my HV20 and it's easier to just carry one kind of tape on a multi-cam shoot. Many other HV20/30/40 users swear by Panasonic DVM63PQ - under $3 each - for the Canon. There's really no need to buy the $10-15 tapes.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Spot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:19 pm

Great info guys, thanks. I had read the same opinions on the net (including hv20.com thanks to Bobby!) but just wanted to check with my favourite site!
Cheers
JB
Woof
Spot

Postby Bobby » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:34 pm

I have also been using Sony DVM60PRR tapes, but because I bought a bunch cheap at Costco. Seem to work fine. I agree with all above - use tapes only once, stick to one brand.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rfjg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:09 pm

Check out http://www.pro-tape.com/Site/PRO-TAPE.html for some more info on miniDV tape. I only use Pro grade Panasonic tape. You can get them for less than $5 each.
rfjg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Spot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Thanks rfjg, that's a great link.
Woof
Spot

Postby tiny » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 pm

For the record, I reuse my tape, because I'm poor/cheap. I have not noticed any issues yet. However if I was filming something important, like a wedding, I would of course use new tape, because my understanding is that drop outs are more likely on used tape.
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Camcorders