They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

helmet camcorder

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Re: helmet camcorder

Postby mark hansen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:33 pm

If you don't mind, I would like to revisit this thread as I am looking at a helmet cam. The one spoken about (Oregon Scientific ATC2K + ) seems pretty nice.

Sidd, now that you ahave had it for a while, how do you like it? How long can you record with the 2 GIG card it calls for? I noticed there is a Oregon Scientific ATC3K + Free 4GB SDHC for $139... is that worth the extra cost?. I'm hoping I can just down load the AVI from the chip and bring it right into a project... is this how it works? Any follow on thoughts now that you have had it for a while?

For everyone ---- I noticed it records at 640x480 (VGA) at 30 fps. Don't most video camera record higher than that (720 by something). Would I want to put a boarder around the smaller image so the image doesn't blur after its enlarged.

I want to mount this on a paint ball gun to get some interesting shots, it comes with a common rail mount, so that should be nice.

Thanks for any insights
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:45 pm

mark hansen wrote:I noticed it records at 640x480 (VGA) at 30 fps. Don't most video camera record higher than that (720 by something). Would I want to put a boarder around the smaller image so the image doesn't blur after its enlarged.

That's the difference between video for TV vs video for PC...

Standard-definition television video is 720x480 with a 0.9 pixel aspect ratio (also called PAR; the pixels are slightly taller than they are wide). Standard-definition computer video is 640x480 with a 1.0 PAR (pixels are square). The helmet cam is probably recording with square pixels, so all you have to do get it ready for television is bring it into a standard NTSC 4:3 project, then use "Interpret Footage" to change the PAR to 0.9. Then you'll have proper-looking 720x480 video for TV.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:48 pm

so all you have to do get it ready for television is bring it into a standard NTSC 4:3 project, then use "Interpret Footage" to change the PAR to 0.9.

Premiere Elements should automatically recognize that clip has a 1.0 par and resample the image to use with the standard def project which has a 0.9 par. You shouldn't have to do anything. If you use "Interpret Footage" to change the clip to a 0.9 par, you will squeeze the image. You only need to use Interpret Footage if Premiere Elements fails to pick up the clip's 1.0 par. And, in that case, you would want to tell Premiere Elements to interpret the clip as having a 1.0 par to maintain the clip's native aspect ratio and prevent distortion.

Of course, if you want to creatively add distortion that's your call. ;)
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:04 pm

I think for the price and for durability, the ATC2K is a great way to go. There seems to be a threshold regarding resolution and I would place the ATC2K in the novelty category. Even the cheapest DV camcorder has better resolution so that to me is a factor. But, the pro-POV cameras also have a pro-price tag too.

But, I have recorded with it in the bottom of a swimming pool, the kitchen sink, and strapped it to the underside of the car and driven on the highway with it. I placed it in the bottom of a baptismal pool to get a POV angle for someone getting baptized. I used it for a wedding to get that up and close personal angle (like when they put the ring on) that would not be practical to get by holding a camera. It is one piece of really cool gear.

It works a whole lot better outside than inside. It records to a 2GB SD memory card and I would recommend getting a high speed card. It will record for an hour to fill up the card. It works best when mounted to something. When held in the hand it is way too jumpy. My only complaint is that it would be cool to have a laser pointer to accurately aim the shot. The 3K can record longer and also has a bit of a wider angle on the lens but appears to be the same camera. for $100 it is a great little camera. Just remember it is not going to look good on a big screen.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby mark hansen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks Sidd,,,, I'm excited to try it out. My plan is to mount in on a paint ball gun and perhaps make it look like a scope and get some interesting shots when they storm a house and clear the room. I'm surprised to hear it will record an hour, I was expecting 15 min or so. If I could come in behind them with my other camera that should be an interesting PIP shot too.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:29 pm

I would suggest trying to keep some view of the gunstock in the shot. For some reason when there is a point of reference that does not move it makes the video that is moving around not look so shaky. But I bet you will like what you see at the end. FYI the USB connector on the camera is slow so I put the SD card in a reader to transfer the files.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:37 pm

Hi Mark,

not sure if you got your camera yet but I remembered some additional info. There is not much you can do with the ATC2k to improve its quality while recording. The biggest image problem with this camera is the contrast compounded by the highly-compressed recording format. To acheive a reasonable level of quality on the finished videos start by deinterlacing the footage which can get rid of most of the recorded video warble. Then decrease the contrast and increase the brightness, finally, add a small amount of the sharpness filter. The end result looks better.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby mark hansen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks for the advice Sidd, I'll keep that in mind...I'll be using it this weekend at paint ball game. I just got back from a business trip, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:09 am

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Previous

Return to Camcorders