They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Camcorder Buying

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Camcorder Buying

Postby John Callahan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Hello,

Looking for suggestions.

I want to buy a new HD camcorder primarily capturing motion like stock car racing with the intent to output to DVD ( HD in future ) using PE7 and or ProShow Pruducer slideshows, and upload files to youtube or other sites ect.

I'm leaning to the HV30 because the mini DV editing, I Guess. Has technology improved recently with the flash camcorders?
How does flash memory camcorders behave in PE7?

Also, What wide angle lenz is best for a HV30 ?

Canon - VIXIA 8.0MP High-Definition Digital Camcorder -Dual flash memory; 10x optical/200x digital zoom; DIGIC DV III technology; USB 2.0 interface; HDMI port.

Canon - VIXIA HV30 HDV High Definition Camcorder
2.96Mp 1/2.7" CMOS Sensor Canon HD Video Lens 10x Optical Zoom SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization Widescreen
0.27" Color Viewfinder HDMI Connection 2.7" Widescreen LCD HDMI Connection miniSD Card Slot Records to MiniDV

Thanks
John
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Quad Core
2.66 GHz , 8 gig of ram
Two Terabyte hard drives ACPT multiprocessor PC
NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GT , Two Lite-on DVD RW
John Callahan

Re: Camcorder Buying

Postby John Callahan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Additional to my 1st post,

The youtube link is where I have some video's that were taken from a loaner HV30. I know its a youtube quality but I'm sharing my lighting conditions,shooting distance and sound.

Obviously the more money I spend the better the quality.
Do you think I could get noticeably better results from a different camera? What model is my next step up?
What is your opinion on a wide angle lenz in my case at the race track with a HV30?

Here is a couple of samples showing the two different race track distance I do a lot of shooting at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRjy0pRW ... age&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEewEoF418&fmt=18

My output to DVD using PE7 is pretty decent quality with the HV30 even with all the motion at the track. My zooming in quality could be better.

Thanks
John Callahan
Windows 7 64 bit
2.66 GHz , 8 gig of ram
John Callahan

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:36 pm

The HV30 is an excellent camcorder, John. Many on this forum are using Canon HV series cams and they've had great results with them -- whether shooting for standard DV or hi-def.

Because they interface so well with computer-based editors -- and Premiere Elements in particular -- I always recommend people stay with tape-based camcorders rather than going to AVCHDs. The quality is virtually identical for both. The chief advantage to hard drive hi-def camcorders is that you can store hours of video on them without having to change a video cassette.

On the other hand, the challenge is that, at least on PCs, AVCHD is a real bear to edit! Because it is so highly compressed and because no PC-based video editing app is using an intermediary codec for editing it, it demands a tremendous amount of resources, and it frequently chokes all but the fastest computers to death!

(Macs, using Final Cut, do use an intermediary codec and can handle AVCHD much better -- but then they require lots and lots of render time to output their final videos.)

If you plan to do any serious editing of the video you shoot, I think you'll be much happier with the tape-based Canon.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:26 pm

John Callahan wrote:Do you think I could get noticeably better results from a different camera? What model is my next step up?

Unfortunately, because Canon did such a great job with the HV30, the next step up in quality and capability comes on the north side of $3,000. The HV30 simply outdoes just about everything under that price range. If you're interested, the models to look at would be the Canon XH-A1, Sony HVR-Z5U, and Panasonic AG-HMC150. For fast action sports like auto racing, I'd recommend the HMC150 because it has CCDs instead of CMOS chips, which means you don't get the jello-like wobble that CMOS sometimes exhibits with lateral motion. On the other hand, if you mostly shoot night racing, then the Z5U is better in low light.

If you do go with the HV30, I recommend the Raynox 6600 series of wide angle adapters. They come in different models because of exterior color and rear thread size, but they are all the same on the inside. Get one that has a larger rear thread than the HV30's 43mm, and use a step-up ring to mount it. This will put a larger "sweet spot" in front of your stock lens and give better images in the long run.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John Callahan » Mon May 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Hello,

Thanks you for the info, Sorry for the delay, I just got back in town.

I'm hanging on a bit maybe waiting for the hv40. Instead of just buying the hv30 now. The more I read about camcorders harder my dessision gets. Tape or Tapesless is mostly what I get caught up reading about. WOW, Its a bit overwelming. And any store I ever visit they look at you like your nuts if you ask where is your minitape camcorders. They suggest the hard drives and the flash units only. Other than that , Online the Cannon XH-A1 seems to be the prefered, It has many manual options on it I think I would never use and none of the audio hookup for mic options. I don't do any weddings or events like that, Just family stuff. I do understand the advise on the minitape camcorders but am I limiting myself on a camcorder just to stay with PE7 for editing. With all the other types of camcorders now being sold today are they all having difficulties for editing..

Highly rated online is the hard drives and Flash like this one: How are these for editing??
The newer Cannon VIXIA HF S10 Dual 32 GB Flash Memory
32GB Internal Flash Memory SDHC Memory Card Slot 8.59Mp 1/2.6" CMOS Canon 10x HD Video Lens 2.7" Multi-Angle Widescreen LCD 8Mp Still Images 1920 x 1080 HD SuperRange O.I.S. HDMI Mini Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe

Comparing the HV30 or HV40 to these pro models would I see a noticeable quality output for distance or wide angle results?

Is there a model between the HV30 & 40 and these Pro Models?

Comparing the HV40 to the Cannon VIXIA dual Flash I assume I will have less difficulties editing. Or would different software give me the same results?

Thanks again

John
Windows 7 64 bit
2.66 GHz , 8 gig of ram
John Callahan

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon May 04, 2009 2:39 pm

I would wait too, the price on the HV30 keeps going up. Two weeks ago it was at $550 - $600 and now it is hard to find for under $700 and many places are completely out of stock. The price of the HV40 will start at $1000 and the HV30 will probably be close to that when the HV40is released is my guess.
I hate marketing sometimes. There isn't enough difference between the two to make it worth $400 more, so lets get the price closer.

Even on eBay they are going for $650+ and there aren't a lot of used ones out there for sale either.

One good thing is that there should be some HV30 refurbished models coming onto the market soon, those should go for around $550 would be my guess. Might be worth waiting for one of those ::C

Or you could have entered the contest and tried to win a free one :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Camcorders