They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

A few questions about the HV30

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

A few questions about the HV30

Postby munickster » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:00 am

I'm about to push the checkout button on my B&H cart. I have finally (I think 8-[ ) gotten up the nerve to buy an HV30 which would be my first camcorder of any kind. All video to date has come from my Nikon Coolpix. I've seen a few threads on various accessory questions both here and at hv20.com, so I hope you'll forgive me for any duplication.

1) First, a question on tape. The recommended tape (or so it seems from the web page) is Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ 60 Minute Mini DV tape. It's also the cheapest by a long shot at $2.49 each. I don't intend to do much with HD just yet, but I've read here that recording in HD and then downconverting to SD might give a better quality picture. That said, I'd like to keep the tapes for future HD use. This particular tape doesn't specifically list HD in its description while many others do. Is this tape OK for HD as well as SD, or should I add on a few more dollars to my budget?

2) I've read a number of comments in various places about the tape door not closing tightly. Is that really an issue?

3) Is the HV30 reasonably water-tight, in that it would survive a few moments in a short drizzle?

4) Would you strongly suggest a UV filter for this? That also suggest a lens cap. This was covered somewhat in viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3264, but didn't really answer the question of whether it really is required.

That, along with an extra Canon battery, is all I intend to purchase. If you think I've left something out that is essential, please let me know.

Thank you so much for any input you might have.

Dick
munickster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: A few questions about the HV30

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:18 am

You don't need tapes that say HD or HDV on them Dick, that is just a marketing gimmick.
Plain old MiniDV tapes are all you need and the key is to stick with one brand.
I like Sony tapes, some people prefer Panasonic or JVC, it doesn't really matter just pick one brand and stick with it.
They all use different kinds of lubricant, when you start mixing them the different lubricants can start to mess up the inner workings of the camcorder.

I don't think there is anything to worry about with the HV30, it is a great camera.

Amazon has the HV30 on sale for $599
http://astore.amazon.com/chuckengelsco- ... B00114PN1U

If you buy from B&H please use the link at chuckengels.com, it helps to support Muvipix
http://www.chuckengels.com/

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rfjg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:35 am

munickster wrote:1) First, a question on tape. The recommended tape (or so it seems from the web page) is Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ 60 Minute Mini DV tape. It's also the cheapest by a long shot at $2.49 each. I don't intend to do much with HD just yet, but I've read here that recording in HD and then downconverting to SD might give a better quality picture. That said, I'd like to keep the tapes for future HD use. This particular tape doesn't specifically list HD in its description while many others do. Is this tape OK for HD as well as SD, or should I add on a few more dollars to my budget?

That's panasonic's consumer grade tape, it will record HDV. If you re-use the tapes alot, you may find that more the tape has been used, the more dropouts you'll get. For litle more money you can get prograde tape from here http://protape.stores.yahoo.net/new.html.

Also here is an interesting artical about DV tape http://www.pro-tape.com/Site/PRO-TAPE.html
rfjg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 am

Chuck Engels wrote:If you buy from B&H please use the link at chuckengels.com, it helps to support Muvipix
http://www.chuckengels.com/

If you buy from B&H you will also receive a DVD entitled MasterWorks DVD: Jumpstart Guide for the Canon HV30 Camcorder . I and others have found this DVD very helpful, not to say invaluable, for learning to use the camera.

:TU:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:54 am

Chuck Engels wrote:You don't need tapes that say HD or HDV on them Dick, that is just a marketing gimmick.
Plain old MiniDV tapes are all you need and the key is to stick with one brand.

Chuck, I did not know that, so I've been paying for Panasonic tapes that say HDV. I've run 34 of them through my HV30 so far.

If I switch to the less-expensive Panasonic tapes, am I likely to encounter the lubricant problem that you state?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:58 am

The article that 'rfjg' posted above is pretty good.

This is a good thread as well
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/long-black-l ... ixing.html
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 am

Get the UV filter and try and keep it dry.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby munickster » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks for your input.

Dick
munickster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:31 pm

My $0.02,

I use cheap Sony DVC-60 tapes in my HV20, but that's because I already had a ton of them for my 2 Sony PD170s and I didn't want to risk accidentally mixing up 2 different brands of tape in the Sony cams. The Sony tapes work fine for me. Having said that, the Panasonic tapes are recommended by most users for the HV20 & HV30. Buy the cheap Panasonic DVM60 tapes, use them once, then put them away as a backup archive.

The main purpose of the UV filter is to protect the camera's lens from damage & dirt. The HV20 has a built-in retractable lens cover, but it's a little flimsy and at $8 for a Tiffen UV filter it's worth the extra protection. I'd also recommend this lens hood; for $6 it really cuts glare outdoors and adds another bit of protection to the front of the camcorder.

My HV20 has been splashed several times by my 2-year-old at the pool, but I wouldn't recommend letting it get wet on purpose. It isn't designed with any kind of water-resistant features, and one drop getting in through a seam could turn it into a nice paperweight. If you're outside and it starts to rain, put it under your shirt or into a waterproof camera bag.

In my opinion (and many others as well) the HV30 at $599 is by far the best value in consumer camcorders. You'd have to spend twice as much to get better quality.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:04 pm

jackfalbey wrote:My $0.02,... Buy the cheap Panasonic DVM60 tapes, use them once, then put them away as a backup archive.

Jack, use this tape even for HDV?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Yes. MiniDV tape (in fact all magnetic tape) is produced in large sheets and then cut into strips of appropriate width. The difference between the regular tapes and the tapes labeled for HD/HDV, is that the HDV tapes are cut only from the center of the sheet of tape stock, while the regular ones can be cut from anywhere on the sheet. In theory, you'll have a slightly lower chance of dropped frames from a center-cut strip. In reality, the chance of a dropped frame is very low on either tape, and only increases with usage. If you only use each tape once, stay with one brand, and run a head cleaner regularly, there's really nothing to worry about.

"Master" tapes are a different story. They are specially formulated using higher quality materials to preserve the magnetic data more securely, but they also cost around $15 each. Unless you can justify the cost, you'll be fine with a $2.50 tape, even for HD recording.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders