They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Camcorder types...Disc? memory Cards? Tapes??

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Re: Camcorder types...Disc? memory Cards? Tapes??

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:33 am

I do know that to process/render/encode m2t files it takes two to three times as long as standard dv-avi on my machine.
You can still edit dv-avi files on a P4 2.4ghz processor so for people looking for a means of not having to get a new computer that helps.
The price of a MiniDV is a bit less these days, making it a good buy for good quality.

Now I definitely agree that MiniDV is not for everyone, but for those just starting out that don't want to replace their computer it is an excellent option.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:26 pm

I am confused I thought you said you had a miniDV camera stolen and were going to replace. Your last post said you were using your Flash based camcorder???

To get an idea of the vast difference between SD and HD check out this website from Microsoft. It has free HD sampler movies you can download and play on your computer. It will really give you a sense of the difference between the two.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... wcase.aspx

If you have the ability to output to your computer and TV at the same time you can get a firsthand comparison of the difference.

Also, MiniDV and HDV use about 13.5 GB of space when downloaded via fire wire to your computer. As you stated it is approx 8Gb on your flash unit. So miniDV would capture 69% more data which gets back to compression. I agree that no matter what the container all storage can become corrupted.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby codebreaker » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:07 am

Sidd....

I'm not sure who you're targeting the first paragraph to. If me then No I haven't had a miniDV machine stolen. This is my first camcorder and its Flash.

I did take a look at a couple of the HD samplers and as far as playback on my PC is concerned there is no apparent difference to me between the quality of the 720 and 1080 versions. I don't have an HDTV anyway to try these on.

Colin

My Web Site

Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints
codebreaker

Previous

Return to Camcorders