They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Mixing tapes & camcorders, Master DVD & tapes

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Mixing tapes & camcorders, Master DVD & tapes

Postby momoffduty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Not sure if this is the correct forum. Feel free to move.

A local videographer said he didn't want to use anyone's mini-DV tapes in his camcorder. Something about damage to his camcorder. I will be capturing other's mini-DV tapes and had planned on using my camcorder. Any thoughts on this?

Have run across the terms Master DVD & Master Tapes. How does this differ than a normal DVD or tape. What are the uses?

Thanks,
Cheryl
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Mixing tapes & camcorders, Master DVD & tapes

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:51 pm

A local videographer said he didn't want to use anyone's mini-DV tapes in his camcorder. Something about damage to his camcorder.

Mini-dv tapes are lubricated. Each manufacturer uses their own formulation for the lubricant and chemical reactions can occur when the residue on the video heads in the camcorder from one manufacturer's lubricant is exposed to the lubricant used by another manufacturer. The material may become tacky and stick to the heads causing drop-outs and possible damage to tape and heads. The problem was supposed to be corrected in 1997 when manufacturers reformulated their lubricants. However, it's still controversial and there continue to be anecdotal reports of problems. It's generally recommended to pick a brand and stick with it. However, tapes are often manufactured through OEM arrangements where one manufacturer may make many brands and brands may switch manufacturers.

Have run across the terms Master DVD & Master Tapes. How does this differ than a normal DVD or tape. What are the uses?

Most simply, a master is the original recording from which copies may be made. Master can be used to denote the original recordings prior to any editing or mixing. Or, it can also refer to the final edited product which will be subsequently duplicated. The usage is the same for DVD and tape. The replication of commercial DVDs involves the mechanical pressing of a physical disc onto blanks. This mechanical disc is created from the master recording and is also called a "master", but that's not the usage I expect you are seeing.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Guess it is beware when using other's tapes in my camcorder. :-k Maybe I should ask to use their camcorder?

As for the Master DVD, suppose I made a project and had 100 orders, then I would use that one burned DVD in a duplicating machine? Not that I have one, just wondering how all of this works. Is there a higher end disc just for using as a master?

Thanks Bob! And good to see the Alien back, like how you reversed the sequence.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:51 pm

aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:35 pm

momoffduty wrote:Guess it is beware when using other's tapes in my camcorder. :-k Maybe I should ask to use their camcorder?

Maybe purchase an inexpensive camcorder dedicated for capturing? :-k
Peru

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:37 pm

Use top quality blank DVD media such as Taiyo Yuden to make your master.

About duplication, Depending on the volume, it may be more effective to farm out the duplication to a service. If you have low volume and want to do it yourself, and you have multiple dvd burners on your pc, you don't need a separate duplicator. Imgburn can create a dvd image on a hard drive and you can run multiple instances to burn more than one dvd at the same time using that image. If you get a standalone duplicator, it would read the master dvd and write it to the other drives in the unit. You can also get duplicators that attach to a pc which let you duplicate from a disk image on the pc. Another option, strictly for high volume replication of the same dvd, is to have a service create a glass master from the dvd and press DVDs just like they do for commercial DVDS.

The low cost camcorder for capture is a good idea. Even if lubrication issues are no longer a problem, it will save the wear and tear on your good camcorder.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks Peru & Bob!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Greg mgm » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:10 pm

To comment on using different brands of tapes....I had no idea about this up until a year ago.

A friend asked me to tape an improv comedy show she was performing in, that was supposed to be about an hour long. The Sony HD tapes I normally use are 63 minutes, and at the time I couldn't find a longer Sony tape, so I bought a Panasonic 90 minute tape just in case the show went over an hour.

When I downloaded the video to my computer, I was horrified to see several drop outs. This was my first introduction to drop outs, and I was not happy! I'll leave this a short story, but as you can imagine if this was a wedding or something really important, I would have felt terrible.

So for me it's Sony HD tapes all the way!
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders