They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is HD Needed For These Basic Tasks?

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Is HD Needed For These Basic Tasks?

Postby Doty » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:03 pm

This post was moved from another section.

Well that's just it. I have wanted a camcorder for short trips, family events and just plain fun things that happen around home and work. NLE sounds fun and putting together a short clip to tell a story as Steve Grisetti mentions is exactly what I'd like to do a few times a year. NLE is interesting and the process would be a great learning environment, but sometimes I might just want to send a short few minuet clip (email, upload to a website, etc.) for my dad to view of the new baby (5 weeks) not wanting to do any NLE.

As of now I do not have a editing program I use. This will sound pretty lame, but, I have been looking into editing programs and a camcorder for a while now (two years or so) and I really like PE. Adobe PE mainly because of places like this, the huge support the Adobe committee offers, and the interface the program has (I have tried it at work). So, great PE4 it is!

Now a camcorder. I am interested in a small compact camcorder that uses flash memory, works well with PE and has great quality. Well, I am sure you would agree allot has happened in two years in terms of video quality and format for the consumer market. These two topics concern me the most. Quality is pretty much a big deal to me. HD sounds great, but how will the end user view the file? This is huge.

Converting the AVCHD when I want to edit is not a huge issue for me considering there are lots of great recommendations from experienced videographers on this site.

I'd like feedback on:
1- Would I benefit from an HD camcorder if I was to upload clips to the internet (youtube, or something similar) or sending individual files over email?
2- How do I send HD over the internet or email? NERO 7 or alike? I understand that the file (more specifically AVCHD) would have to be converted in some way before its sent.
3- Are there other issues that I am not considering?

I am looking for help and feedback.

Should I restart this topic in the Camcorder section? I have been using the search tool to help with some of my questions but I never really searched in the introduction section before.

Doty
Dell XPS 410 running Vista; Intel Dual Core 1.86GHz, 2mb RAM, Radeon X1550 256mb, X-Fi Fatal1ty Sound Card, 250gb SATA
Doty
New User
New User

Re: Is HD Needed For These Basic Tasks?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:14 am

Doty wrote:
I'd like feedback on:
1- Would I benefit from an HD camcorder if I was to upload clips to the internet (youtube, or something similar) or sending individual files over email?
2- How do I send HD over the internet or email? NERO 7 or alike? I understand that the file (more specifically AVCHD) would have to be converted in some way before its sent.
3- Are there other issues that I am not considering?

Doty

Here's my twopennyworth:-

My advice would be to get an HD camera. You can always downconvert to SD in the camera before editing. Uploading HD material (or any uncompressed video) to the internet or attached to e-mails is a different issue. Video files in general are huge so you will meed to compress them which inevitably means compromising video quality.

HTH.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:24 am

Welcome Doty,

I have an AVCHD camcorder writing to flash memory. You can capture an hour of high definition video at maximum bit rate to an 8GB flash card. However at the moment AVCHD is not supported by PE, you would need to convert to an intermediate codec for editing. I also have a HDV tape based camcorder, although it gives slightly better quality than the AVCHD cam I find myself using the AVCHD cam more often because of the convience of recording to flash memory and the small size of the camcorder.

1- Yes. Sites such as "Vimeo" have a high definition section where you can view 1280x720 video. the quality is excellent.
2- You need to convert the high definition video to a more compressed format to email. Formats such as DivX, MOV and WMV give excellent results and these formats can be played back on standard media players.
3- If you want to capture in standard definition then AVCHD camcorders capture in MPEG2 format... that does not play well with PE. You would need to convert the MPEG2 to DV-AVI for better compatibility. Taped based HDV camcorders on the other hand capture standard definition to DV-AVI format, edited natively in PE4. You can also downconvert the high definition video in the cam to DV-AVI and capture into PE4 for editing in standard definition.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:39 pm

To follow up on Paul's advice:

Camcorders that record HD (or even SD) to flash memory or hard drive are more convenient at the time of recording, because you don't have to carry blank tapes or change the recording media as often. However, the resulting video is more highly compressed and therefore slightly lower quality than what you would get from recording HDV or DV to tape, and editing flash- or hard drive-recorded videos with Premiere Elements requires a powerful computer and conversion to a compatible format. The conversion process will further degrade the quality of the video.

If you want to be able to edit your videos and don't want to spend money on additional hardware and software, I'd recommend a MiniDV tape-based camcorder. If you want portability and convenience, and don't mind sacrificing some image quality, a flash memory camcorder is just fine. There are a lot of great consumer camcorders out there right now; it just depends on your specific needs and budget.

Answering these questions will help narrow your choices:
- What is your budget for equipment?
- Will you be recording in low-light situations (indoors at night with only a lamp or two in the room, etc.)?
- How important is it to have high quality audio recorded along with the video?
- How much editing do you plan to do: basic trimming or more complex effects and transitions?
- How will your videos be viewed and distributed, and what playback capabilities will your viewers have?
- Do you need a camera that will fit in your pocket, or will you carry a camera bag?
- What are the specs of the computer you'll be running PE4 on?
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Doty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:07 pm

Thank you all for helping out!!!

Paul LS, I remember when you first mentioned that you bought a flash media type camcorder (Sony-CX7 I believe) and enjoyed the convenience and portability. You also had to take a little heat from some people (HDV tape) on the forum but sounds as if you’re happy. I also understand it’s not your primary camera either.

I am OK down converting in the camera as well as converting to use within PE. Everybody here is quite knowledgeable and solving problems with PE is easier with all kinds of different avenues to find support.

Jackfalbey thanks for all you questions:
<$1000 budget.
Low light - possibly, but most likely not.
Just quality sound is fine.
Editing - basic trimming, with intent on learning more complex stuff.
Delivery - mostly internet (email / Vimeo)
Pocket - YES! Camera bag if I have to.
I updated my signature

I am really leaning toward the flash media type camcorder. If an HD flash media camcorder will have better picture quality up loading to the internet after some conversion, then I’d be looking toward an HD camera! Basically, the Canon HF series. Camcorderinfo.com rated these pretty well and said the low light quality was good as well.

Any more comments would be great!

You gentleman have been a great help, thanks again.

Doty
Dell XPS 410 running Vista; Intel Dual Core 1.86GHz, 2mb RAM, Radeon X1550 256mb, X-Fi Fatal1ty Sound Card, 250gb SATA
Doty
New User
New User

Postby jackfalbey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:32 pm

According to your answers, I agree that one of the Canon HF-series would serve you well. You may also want to consider this new one from Samsung http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sa ... 35416.htm# it looks like it meets all of your criteria as well and got a good review too.

I'm not sure about PE4 and Vista, but I'm sure someone else can confirm if they play well together. My only recommendation for your PC would be to add a dedicated internal hard drive for storage of your source video files... if you try to edit with the source files on the same drive as Windows and Premiere, you'll be very frustrated with the slow performance from bottlenecking the data. You really need a dedicated video storage drive. Other than that, I think you're on the right track.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:25 am

Hi Doty, yes I have the Sony-CX7, they have just brought out a newer model the CX12 which looks interesting. And yes my primary camera is the Sony HDR-HC1 a HDV tape model. Although I am finding I use the CX7 more and more.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Rockdoc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:31 am

Doty,
I run PE4 on my laptop with very similar specs to yours, and it runs fine. My desktop runs a bit faster when rendering (single core 3 GHz there) and such, but you will be fine starting out with what you have. When the editing addiction bug has bitten you, you can then get advice here on upgrading! Seriously though, you can run PE4 for what you have described just fine.

Jennifer
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Doty » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:00 am

You're all awesome, thanks again for your time.

I will most likely go with the Canon.

And I am already working on Danielle (wife) about spending more for a dedicated storage drive!!!

Doty
Doty
New User
New User

Return to Camcorders