They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Uh-oh, the mailman came!

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Uh-oh, the mailman came!

Postby Ted » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:30 pm

One thing he didn't bring me was a 9v battery!

D'oh! #-o

My baby Harv (my HV's name of course!) looks so small under that mic!

How will he look when I add the WA that is due to come in tomorrow???

:-#
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Uh-oh, the mailman came!

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:49 pm

It will almost look like a professional camera :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:It will almost look like a professional camera :)

Hmm...I see a blog entry coming soon in my blog:

"Professional-looking camera, nervous-rookie behind it!" 8-[
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:35 pm

I believe I'm done...(for now)

Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:47 pm

Looks functional

Which LCD hood is that?
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:53 pm

Hi Mark,

Sorry I didn't get a better shot of the LCD hood.

It's the Hoodman H300.

I purchased it here...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _Hood.html

I'll now focus my energies on finding a bag that can hold my camcorder now that it's "grown". :)

I'm open to suggestions!
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks!!!,, I like it. Not too much either.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:14 pm

I have to chuckle! I was thinking the same thing -- you're going to need a bigger camera bag :lol:

That's quite a setup. Go have some fun with it!!
Bob

Postby Ted » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Bob wrote:I have to chuckle! I was thinking the same thing -- you're going to need a bigger camera bag :lol:

That's quite a setup. Go have some fun with it!!

No kidding!

I checked Best Buy but they don't have an incredible selection. I may go check out a Ritz store. I may even bring my gear and see if they're willing to let me size the bag. :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby rolawren » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:23 am

Hi Ted & Others,

As you know Ted, I was looking at your posts on HV30's today, as I am considering that might be the video camera for me as well, as I like to stick with mini-DV's. Have read this post and the previous one where you ask for advice, and I am reassured by other people's comments that you can use the HV30, and then down-convert it in the camera, as really I only would want Standard definition in 16:9.

I am wondering about external mics, as this is one of the things I am after to improve my interviews of people. My little Panasonic with the built in mic., is OK but sounds really tinny. When I borrowed the Canon XL1 from work with the mounted microphone I would hear the cassette tape whirring on the sound-track.

How are you liking the RODE external microphone. Have you done any interviews or had people talking on camera. Do you hear any whirring? Also which microphone exactly did you buy. It certainly looks big. I was also wondering about the external directional microphone that Jack F. recommended.

External Mic:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2 ... phone.html

This looks to be a smaller external microphone, just wondering about the one you got compared with this one. Was the one you got better for outdoor use, or maybe interview quality. I would be likely to use it outdoors some of the time.

Also could you tell me what the little cover on the side of the camera is for. Is it to screen out excessive light when outdoors for the LCD?

Does the wide-angle lens that you bought screw onto the end of the standard lens? Is that what Jack F meant by (you'll need a step-up ring from 43mm to whatever size you order). I don't think I would get a wide-angle lens initially, just trying to figure out what you got and what I would like.

Did you get everything on your wish list?
http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3216&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30#p27682

I have posted another general topic asking for advice on Camcorders, but have tried to narrow it down somewhat.

Anyway if you could let me know, a bit about your external microphone.

Regards,

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ted » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:48 am

Hi there, Robyn,

I'll do my best to answer your questions...but remember that I'm EXTREMELY new to all this. :)

1. Microphone - I've only tested it very briefly recording myself. I recorded myself with the microphone (which, by the way, is the Rode VideoMic) and with the in-camera microphone. I was very much more pleased with the external mic and I didn't hear any tape moving... but then again, remember... I'm a newbie so I may not have the ear for it?

2. LCD Hood. Yes, that helps prevent stray light and makes the LCD easier to see outdoors. Of course, the HV30 has a viewfinder, so I debated on getting this. They also have hoods that include a magnifier...to make the image larger/easier to see?

3. Wide angle - It's a wide angle converter...which I learned is different from a lens...as it converts the view from standard to WA (wide angle). Yes, I required a step-up ring (which I bought from eBay)...and I screwed that into my UV filter (which was on my regular lens) and then: step-up ring, and finally WA converter. I may remove the standard UV filter if I don't like the quality of image... in fact, there's really no reason for it with the protection of the WA converter. I also purchased a WA filter.

Does this help at all?
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:39 am

You will like that RODE mic a lot. I have the same one and it works like a charm. It is super easy to use and it also has some gain adjustments to help tweak the mic. I have even used it with my iPod to record audio directly and that works really well too.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:03 am

I have even used it with my iPod to record audio directly and that works really well too.

LOL... I would love to see a photo of the mic mounted on your iPod.... :lol:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:17 pm

Paul,

For the iPod I use the iTalk mic from Griffin. It has a quarter inch mic plug so I plug the Rode in to that. I have a small little homemade adapter that I sit the mic on and it works great. I have a plastic cradle for the ipod. I will try to take a picture of the setup.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby rolawren » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:28 am

sidd finch wrote:You will like that RODE mic a lot. I have the same one and it works like a charm. It is super easy to use and it also has some gain adjustments to help tweak the mic. I have even used it with my iPod to record audio directly and that works really well too.

Sidd

Thanks Sidd & Ted, will be thinking about which camcorders over the next few weeks. Am still tossing up between Canon HV30 & ext. mic or a second hand possibly Canon XL2 (if I can find one).

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3216&p=28777#p28777

Cheers,

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to Camcorders