They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony HC1 issues

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Sony HC1 issues

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:17 pm

I am wondering if any of you have had a similar issue. My beloved Sony HC1 camcorder is having some issues. After the camera is turned on and when I open the LCD the LCD does not turn on. If I rotate the LCD and 180 degrees and put the LCD back in the camera in reverse fashion the LCD turns on. If I try to rotate the LCD back 180 degrees the image remains upside down in the LCD. Is this fixable?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Sony HC1 issues

Postby Paul LS » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:46 pm

A few folks have had the problem over on the Sony HDV Info forum. Probably the ribbon cable. One guy replaced his LCD, see this thread.
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=10257
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:20 am

Paul before I even finished the question I knew you would be the one with the answer. Looks like I am going into the self repair business. I have come to love that HC1

Thank you
Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:34 pm

So my story has a bittersweet ending. My beloved HC1 works but the LCD is dead. Looks like a ribbon cable issue. Still records and shoot stills and view finder still works, but I cannot access any of the menus or rewind etc. It still operates when I hook it up to PE3 so it has been relegated to “2nd Camera status”.

I still cannot believe how much I love this model camera, the look the feel. Should a grown man be so attached to one camera? What would Freud say. I tried to like the other cameras I saw .....but I still pined for my “ole-HC1”. Enter EBay the electronic gadgets dating service. The eHarmony of camcorders. Yeah…. I found an HC1 bought it and have already recorded 3 hours on my new BFF.

Judging from the EBay prices for camera, it appears that the HC1 is still a relevant camera, but I already knew that. The moral of this story…..you either pay your money to EBay or to a qualified therapist as this video stuff really gets in your blood…..

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:54 pm

img0203
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Camcorders