They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My B&H Cart - What do you think? ;)

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Re: My B&H Cart - What do you think? ;)

Postby mark hansen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:18 pm

Well I got my HV-30 and so far so good. I will be posting questions to insure my work flow with the capture and editing are the best/easiest.. But for for now I have some questions about additional lenses. At first what I really need is a wide angle lens for indoor shots (in my home) and I want a "nothing" filter to screw on the end of the camera (without the wide angle lens) so when I film Paintball, the lens and lens cover is protected.

I saw the links at the beginning of the tread and I will be getting a hood too, its cheap enough. But for the wide angle lens... I was searching the internet (well my wife was) and she came across this at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/WIDE-TELEPHOTO-LE ... 68&sr=8-25

For both a Tele and a wide angle is cheaper than a wide angle. Is this one of those to good to be true things I keep on running up againest? I also know you get what you pay for, so what is a good price for a good WA lens?

Some wide angle lenses are .7, some I've see are a .4. How wide is too wide. I just want to get a little more in the frame without being so far from everyone. Hopefully no large amount of distortion.

Thanks for any views.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:03 pm

At that price, go for it and let us know :-D

You know, Mark, there is just no telling. A lot of the reviews you read are by nit-pickers and the products overall really aren't that bad. I have a similarly priced set for one of my old camcorders years ago, it and performed fairly well. I am sure that WA is not equal to the $150 Raynox, but how different is hard to tell. Perhaps Jack will chime in here.

In a WA, the higher the decimal number, the narrower the lens. A .4 is much wider (and often has spherical distortion) than a .7.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:43 pm

At $29.95 it's probably worth a try... but I'd bet that you will see a difference in the quality of the video with the discount lens. The HV30 takes such amazingly good video that a substandard piece of glass will definitely hurt your picture quality. Also, I see it's a 0.5x wide-angle, which will probably give a slightly warped image. Stick with a WA of 0.6 or higher unless you're going for a certain effect (like fisheye).
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks Bob, I see this is a .5 so I hope I don't get distortion. we'll see how it goes.
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Previous

Return to Camcorders