They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hi8 video capture problems - help!

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Hi8 video capture problems - help!

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi - Thanks in advance!

OK, I have a bunch of Hi8 tapes I need to capture. Let's start there. I *have* a Sony HandyCam CCD-TRV21 (8 mm) in hand which has analog outputs (no other options). So, I have something with which to play the Hi8 tapes in order to capture them.

Now, I have a Sony VAIO that has two sets of analog inputs and a video card. So, I should theoretically be able to go straight from camera to computer with the right capture software, right? So far, that has been a problem. My version of Pinnacle (admittedly old - v9) has only DV into program for editing and I can't get it to pick up the analog in smart capture). I used a basic Sony Sonic DV capture program but the quality was bad - video and audio matched up fine, but there was horizontal streaking on video. Was that capture or the age of the camcorder Hi8 tape?

Oh, and btw, I have a Panasonic PV-DV910 DV camcorder with firewire export and it works like a dream, but has no other inputs so I don't think I can do a relay. And, I have a Panasonic Palmcorder PV-A206 which takes VHS-C tapes - it has analog outputs and/or tape converter, but still don't think I can do relay.

Questions are:
- If I upgrade to Premiere 4 or Pinnacle 12 is quality of video capture going to be better - using direct analog input into computer?
- Should I invest in a video capture device - and, if yes, what quality? I scoped them out and it looks like the Canopus ADVC gets rave reviews - and would work with a PC and Mac (i'm getting the latter in next month)? It's expensive but I can get for $242 on amazon right now.
- Is there a lower-priced video capture device that would work since I *only* need it for this Hi8 application but keep quality of video as high as possible.

Thanks for your help - sorry if this is confusing.

Alexa
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hi8 video capture problems - help!

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:55 pm

Well, you could kill two birds with one stone and buy a ADS A/V Pyro Link digital converter that comes with Premiere Elements 4 ;)
Best deal around for $150 http://www.cwol.com/firewire/ads-pyro-a ... ftware.htm
You do need to have a Firewire port on your computer for capture but the Pyro works great, many forum members here have one (including me).

Plugging the camcorder into the video card will most likely not produce very good results but maybe someone else has some ideas about how to make that work.
It's too bad that your camcorders do not provide inputs for pass through of an analog device, that would be ideal. If your Sony was a Digital 8 it would be able to play Hi 8 tapes and have a Firewire output like your Panasonic Mini DV cam.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:57 pm

And for those that want the Pyro Link without editing software they now sell the basic model
http://www.cwol.com/firewire/pyro-av-link-basic.htm
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:58 pm

I'm definitely with Chuck on this one!

If you want great quality and a video format that works efficiently in Premiere Elements, the Pyro AV in the best investment you can make.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:06 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm definitely with Chuck on this one!

:-8 :shock: 8-[ =D> \:D/

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:19 pm

So, you like the Pyro better than the Canopus (or - b/c of the real advantage of link with Premiere Elements 4 software - i was actually looking at buying so then, I'm getting both for $150 which is a real bargain in PE4 is already $100, right? Oh, if only they weren't backordered or pre-ordering or whatever... I have a "now" project.)

I think it sounds like that will make life a lot easier - and give me the best quality from these Hi8 tapes. And, yes, I have a Firewire port so that will make it as speedy as it can be.

Thx for some quick advice!
Alexa

p.s. I emailed the store you sent me to and asked an estimate for the pre-order date on the bundle of the Pyro and Premiere Elements 4.0 - their reply (how nice that they are taking your money now though... :-8 :

As we do not have a definite date at this time, we would not recommend depending upon having the product "very soon". You should consider other analog DV converters like the ADVC55 or ADVC110:

http://www.cwol.com/firewire/canopus-advc-55.htm
http://www.cwol.com/firewire/canopus-advc-110.htm

akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Saw this Canopus in the same search - is this super-overkill? Or, do you think it's "image enhancement" features could be legit (and worth much higher price)?

http://www.compusa.com/applications/sea ... No=1517504

otherwise, keeping my eye on the Pyro but it doesn't have that great of reviews on Amazon (Canopus ADVC 110 much better) - any rebuttal?
pryo: http://www.amazon.com/ADS-API-558-EFS-P ... 268&sr=8-1

canopus: http://www.amazon.com/Canopus-770101501 ... 477&sr=1-1

;)
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:20 pm

It's really a matter of how much you want to spend, ak.

The Canopus includes a time base corrector, I believe, that can improve the quality of your captured video.

But the ADS Pyro AV Link produces excellent results without it -- every bit as good as the original tape. Chuck swears by his.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:00 pm

fantastic - i don't need to overspend. if someone tells me it's far and away better, I'll pony up - but otherwise, it sounds like i've got a reasonably-priced option. thanks! Alexa
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pyro

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:11 pm

Well, here is one dissatisfied Pyro owner. I used mine for quite a while with no problems.

But my captured videos began to be too dark - something had changed. I eliminated every variable and it all pointed back to the Pyro. I contacted technical support, and they were of no help and just didn't seem to care.

I was able to compensate in PE4, but felt there was some loss of dynamic range doing that and also some increased noise in the video when I brightened it.

Next up: Canopus for me. But I think I have finished almost all of the old analog tapes I need to convert, so that might never happen.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:59 pm

If I had the choice I would choose the Canopus, but one of the higher end models.
If you are going with the cheapest, but still good, route, then the Pyro will be fine.
If you don't have to worry about the money, get the Canopus :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akcorcoran » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:21 pm

Sigh, sigh. The unending dilemma... :???:

I guess my issue is that I'm doing this for someone who is paying a modest amount and I want to give her the best quality I can produce myself. I am getting Taiyo Yuden DVDs and want to feel comfortable that the video I'm pulling off her precious, old Hi8 tapes is the best I could do. I'm hoping that leads to a few more people who will want this type of "project" - and maybe some editing. It's basically turning what has been a passion/hobby into something a little more... so, I think if that is the plan, it could cover the cost of the Canopus.

But, it's painful to spend right now... I'm never going to be/market myself as a professional video restoration shop - but I still want the best quality I can produce.

Thanks for all your advice -
Alexa

p.s. My clientele is pretty much happy that *someone* actually pulled the stuff off the tapes, so they won't be critiquing the quality too much. Still, what I pulled directly into the computer using the stereo inputs was horrible. I wouldn't want to give anyone that mess.
akcorcoran
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Camcorders