They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Picking a Movie camera

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Picking a Movie camera

Postby Jay » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:28 pm

I have been putting it off long enough and I’m tired of trying to using movie clips from my regular digital camera to make slide shows in PE4. I get very poor quality, although I am using an Olympus SP-550uz for good photos but the movies are not sharp. I don’t know anything, in fact I don’t even suspect anything about movies cameras. I would like to get my feet wet with a good used one that is reasonable in price (below $200). I go to swap meets, and surf the regular deal places on the net and I see all kinds but I have no idea what is good and what is not. Any help would be appreciated.
Jay
Jay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Picking a Movie camera

Postby ridon127 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:47 pm

Jay,

Here is a link that is most often refered to for info.
www.camcorderinfo.com
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:14 pm

I agree on camcorderinfo.com - lots of good info.

Here are some decisions to start you off.

First, do you want HD (High Definition) or SD (Standard Definition)? HD is overkill as you can't create a high definition DVD (Blu-Ray) yet unless you put a lot of money into the system. But you would be planning for the future and the price difference may not be all that much.

Second, what type of recording medium? Most popular here is miniDV tape. Tape has the longest recording time (especially if you swap tapes), and has built-in archiving (i.e. you just put the tape on the shelf). Internal hard drive is cool, but the video is more compressed (lower quality) and you have to offload it into your PC before you can take any more. Mini DVDs are OK, but very short recording time and SD only right now. There are also some cameras that use memory flash cards, but again limited recording time and the need to offload to your PC.

Start doing some research and ask lots of question. Just FYI, I just bought the Canon HV30. Look it up in camcorderinfo, but it is not cheap at around $800.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:40 am

Jay wrote:I’m tired of trying to using movie clips from my regular digital camera to make slide shows in PE4. I get very poor quality

Digital still cameras typically take poor video, just like video camcorders typically take poor stills. For good video, you really need a camcorder designed for video.
Jay wrote:I would like to get my feet wet with a good used one that is reasonable in price (below $200). I go to swap meets, and surf the regular deal places on the net and I see all kinds but I have no idea what is good and what is not.

I agree with the recommendation to do research at http://www.camcorderinfo.com. You will want to avoid hard drive-based and DVD-based camcorders because their video is highly compressed at the time of recording, which will give you poor results when you edit it later. High-Definition (HD) is great if you can afford it, but you'll spent at least $700-800 for a good camcorder, and you'll need a very fast new computer to edit on. If you want to start out with Standard-Definition (SD), then you are in good shape. There are a lot of great camcorders in your price range. I'd recommend the Canon ZR line; they are around $200 brand new and have a lot of features as well as shooting great SD video.

I'd stay away from anything you find used at a swap meet... it might look like it's in good condition on the outside, but there could be any number of serious problems on the inside. I'd also stay away from any internet deals that seem too good to be true, because they are probably a scam. You can check out reviews of retailers at http://www.resellerratings.com, but sticking with a well-known merchant like http://www.bhphotovideo.com will save you in the long run. B&H also has a very reliable used department...

Edit: looks like I basically re-wrote your post, Bob. That's why I should read things more carefully before jumping in... :oops:
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:00 am

I got started in the world of camcorders with VHS-C and just switched to Mini DV about 2 years ago.
Definitely go with Mini DV tape and be sure your computer has a Firewire port and you are all set.
You can get a camcorder similar to mine from Wal Mart for around $180 USD, the cheapest JVC you can find.
It will be a good start into the world of video and you will have no problems capturing into Premiere Elements or WInDV.

You could also start with VHS-C but then you will need a digital converter (like the ADS Pyro Link) to connect to your computer for capture.
The quality is about as good as a cheap JVC Mini DV camcorder but the cost of the converter makes it more expensive overall.

I must warn you though, within months you will be wanting a better camcorder ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:You can get a camcorder similar to mine from Wal Mart for around $180 USD, the cheapest JVC you can find.

What? Our FOUNDER uses the cheapest unit he can find? :shock:

<<< sound of air hissing out of balloon >>>

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Bob, you forget that I have access to some very expensive equipment at my church :)
I have an HV20 at my house on a regular basis, also a Canon XL H1 and XH A1.
There are also a number of professional Sony and Panasonic cameras with lenses that cost more than all of my equipment put together.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Bob, you forget that I have access to some very expensive equipment at my church :)
I have an HV20 at my house on a regular basis, also a Canon XL H1 and XH A1.
There are also a number of professional Sony and Panasonic cameras with lenses that cost more than all of my equipment put together.

Well, OK then!

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders