They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Shooting outside

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Shooting outside

Postby Catherine » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:53 am

I have a Sony DCR-DVD403 mini dvd handycam. Every time I shoot video outside in daylight, the video looks very jagged, as if I can see every horizontal line that creates the video. Sometimes, when I render the clip, the video smoothes out. Sometimes I have to go into Field Options and select Reverse Field Dominance to fix the problem. Either way, shots taken outside, in daylight never look as crisp and clear as indoor shots. (I went to a baseball game. The video I took while the sun was up was not clear. As soon as the sun went down and the lights came on, I got nice, clear video.)

Is there a setting I should use when shooting outside in daylight? Is this a common problem or only specific to this brand or mini dvd cameras?

Thanks!
Catherine
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:14 pm

Most camcorders and cameras have various Modes; 'Outdoor', 'Indoor', 'Sports', things like that. there are also settings like 'White Balance' which can make a huge difference similar to what you are experiencing. Normally an Auto White Balance will work fine but depending on the camcorder you may need to set the White Balance Manually. Check your manual to see what it says.

With your DVD camcorder you should always reverse field dominance, not just sometimes. Either the fields need reversing or they don't, always.

That's my 2 cents :)

I am sure there are others with ideas and other possibilities.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:57 pm

That's really strange, most camcorders have a much better image for shots taken outside, because of the better light. I would set it to Auto everything, and avoid filming directly towards the sun, which can trick the cells and mess up auto focus.

On my minidv cams i will notice that vertical lines, like trees, can sometimes appear a little jagged, but nothing like you're describing.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Thanks for the input

Postby Catherine » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:23 am

Thanks for the input on the white balance. Will break out the manual!
Catherine
New User
New User

Return to Camcorders