They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can't "capture" from HV30 to Premiere Elements with Windows

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Can't "capture" from HV30 to Premiere Elements with Windows

Postby surfdabeach » Tue May 06, 2008 9:27 pm

In trying to set up my new HV30 to captured video using Premiere Elements 4, a "Steve" answered my question, but I can't find my orginal post. However, he sent me this response on this forum and in STEP #3 I did as instructed, but it didn't help with capturing of video. So, I went back to re-trace my steps, and the DV OUTPUT is grayed out and I can't get rid of the DV locked.

1. Could Steve please email me (or anyone else)
2. Could someone on this forum tell me how to get it so that DV OUTPUT is not grayed out. How do I "reset" - took the battery off the back - do I need to have the camcorder plugged in somewhere in order for the reset button to work?

Thanks

----------
jackfalbey wrote:
I've only been playing with my HV20 for a little while, but I can offer some suggestions to get you started...

1) Set the power switch to CAMERA, press the FUNC button to bring upthe options. At the top left, there's an icon that lets you select various shooting profiles. There's one called CINE MODE that gives very nice image results out of the box. It takes care of many of the manually-adjustable settings for you, and looks prettty good too. I recommend shooting in CINE MODE at first.

2) Use the joystick to move down the left column to the MENU icon, then press the joystick in. This gives you options to set most of the camera's features. Move down 1 icon to the REC/IN SETUP, move right and set HD STANDARD to HDV (not HDV PF24). This will record the highest-quality HD video that the camera is capable of.

3) Switch the camera to PLAY. Press the FUNC button and move down to the MENU icon and press the joystick in. Move down 2 icons to PLAY/OUT SETUP2 and set DV OUTPUT to DV LOCKED. This will downconvert the HDV to standard DV right in the camera when capturing in PE4.

-------------
surfdabeach
New User
New User

Re: Can't "capture" from HV30 to Premiere Elements with Windows

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 07, 2008 6:54 am

Thanks for posting here. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Your problem sounds similar to what Al is experiencing in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2814

Hopefully, between the two of you and others who are not having problems, we can figure this out.

Meantime, I've removed your e-mail address from your post, surfda. There are "bots" that scan the internet for e-mail addresses for the specific purpose of bombarding them with spam.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed May 14, 2008 4:30 pm

I moved this to the Camcorder forum hoping you will get more response.
Take a look at the HV20 topics, many of them talk about capturing and resolutions to problems.
The HV20 and HV30 are not very different as far as I know.

One thing to remember is that you cannot make any changes to menu settings while the camcorder is connected via Firewire ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 14, 2008 8:46 pm

Unfortunately, the HV30 is showing up a lot on these forums as a camcorder no one can capture from. Which is strange, because the HV20 has been a favorite of many!

The best solution seems to be to capture with the program HDVsplit. (It's a free download.) The files captured with this program edit perfectly in Premiere Elements.

But Premiere Elements and the HV30, for some reason, won't interface directly.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed May 14, 2008 9:00 pm

And believe me you would end up using HDVSplit anyway so this really isn't a problem :)
I use HDVSplit to capture from the HV20 for various reasons even though Premiere Elements can capture from it just fine.
It doesn't name the clips accurately and it doesn't split the clips by timecode, HDVSplit does both of those perfectly.
After capturing just import the captured clips into the Premiere Elements project and you are ready to rock and roll :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 am

surfdabeach wrote:Could someone on this forum tell me how to get it so that DV OUTPUT is not grayed out.

You can only change this setting while the Firewire cable is disconnected. Once the cable is conected, the option becomes grayed out. Be sure to turn off the camcorder before connecting/disconnecting the Firewire cable... some users have fried their camcorder as a result of connecting the cable while turned on (something to do with static discharge).
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders