They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Latest recommendations for a camcorder, please

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Re: Latest recommendations for a camcorder, please

Postby BrianR » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:36 pm

Having a bit of a problem about dimensions. The sites I've looked at, including Hohem's own and Amazon UK, don't actually mention my Samsung model phone, which is A21s. Its dimensions are Bar: 163.7 x 75.3 x 8.9 mm (don't know what the 'Bar' is here). Checking the S20, it comes in at
151.7 x 69.1 x 7.9 mm, so I don't know if this has anything to say about whether that Hohem (which I'm very attracted to) will be a fit for the A21s.

So many models, talk about being spoiled for choice (not to mention discombobulated0 :-s

Best
Brian
iMac 27" Big Sur 3GHz 6-Core Intel i5 GPU AMD Radeon Pro 570X 4GB 16GB RAM; Laptop Windows 10 64-bit HDMI to 27" monitor Intel i5 16GB RAM only 128 GB SSD but I transfer all finished work to a Synology box DS213j (2 Seagate disks).
BrianR

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:28 am

Hi Brian. The advantage of buying on Amazon is their returns policy. So buying the Hohem is really quite risk free as if it doesn't fit...
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby BrianR » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:10 am

Good point, thanks John. In the end with me these days pretty much everything comes down to weight. My days of lugging around a hefty Canon with telephoto and wide-angle lenses in a back pack plus some days a tripod(!) are over. Wife and I don't do any travelling now (quite apart from the pandemic). Happy to focus on snaps and videos of walks in parks and by our rivers and canals. (I've even mostly given up on RAW. I was lucky many years ago in that I did a photography course at the Open University and a perk of that was getting the full version Photoshop at student reduction -- I'd never thought I be able to acquire that!)

My plan now is to see how I go with the phone+gimbal and if I'm not happy with that, I'll rethink the camcorder. By the way the Samsung A21s has a really wide-angle option for both still and video work. Perhaps all phones now do?

Thanks again
Bran
iMac 27" Big Sur 3GHz 6-Core Intel i5 GPU AMD Radeon Pro 570X 4GB 16GB RAM; Laptop Windows 10 64-bit HDMI to 27" monitor Intel i5 16GB RAM only 128 GB SSD but I transfer all finished work to a Synology box DS213j (2 Seagate disks).
BrianR

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:19 am

You can always post a question in the Amazon page under Hohem iSteady X. I have found that helpful before I purchase something and if an owner of the A21s has a Hohem iSteady X they'll reply.

I checked out samsung and amazon and found the following:

Samsung:
galaxy.JPG

Amazon:
amazon.JPG

Sidd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby BrianR » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:09 am

Ah yes thanks for this and there is a customer who says it fits the A21s, but shucks, shucks and doubleshucks again. I have a Hoomil cover made to fit the phone and it works brilliantly but I've never had to remove it. I checked again and it's a magnetic fit (I'd forgotten whether it was gum-backed). So bravely I tried to pick it off (the Fintie cover for my iPad Mini 4 holds the tablet firmly but goes off and on easily) and after exerting quite some force I've detached one corner, the one with the lenses, and wrecked the case at that end, leaving bits of the faux leather stuck to the back of the phone. Surely can't be magnetic? <Sigh> It would have been so much easier to go for a camcorder! I presume (from the photos) that you can't use the phone with its case.

Considering the state of the world, my problem doesn't rate a mention but right now it feels a silly mess!

Not giving up yet ... tho' lost in a web of confusion. Can't wait til the shops open again!
Brian
BrianR

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Well Do not despair....

Albeit an additional cost DJI makes the OM4 which has a magnetic ring that you stick to the case and it stays on. Cost approx $140 USD

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby BrianR » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:08 pm

Haha, thanks again Sidd. However I've completely rethought things because very shortly (relatively) shops will be reopening, including the big camera shop here. I've emailed them and have also been looking at their stuff with a view to going back to the Lumix as both still and video -- at least that would be simplifying things from my point of view. I'm actually quite pleased with the quality of the Lumix as digital, specially when the file has been through Premiere Elements, with Steve's books helping.

So I'll be going in to evaluate, amongst other things that they have in stock, this https://www.wexphotovideo.com/feiyutech-g6-max-gimbal-1729013/

I wonder if you or anyone knows anything good bad indifferent about FeiyuTech G6 Max Gimbal?

Other stuff here https://www.wexphotovideo.com/search/?q=gimbal&search_type=All

The Panasonic Lumix TZ200 is an amazing thing for its size -- loads of stuff packed into a small space, although most of it I don't use because I edit on the computer. What I'd now like to do is see what it delivers (without the shaky stuff that PremElemts does great things but sometimes not enough!)

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll let you know how I get on with the new plan in real physical space with hands-on opportunities to see and feel the goods with emphasis on the weight. :-D

All best
Brian
BrianR

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:27 pm

FeiyuTech makes some nice stuff I had Their G3 for a previous camera and it worked well. Having replaceable batteries in nice too. I am using the Zhiyun CRANE-M2 Payload: 130g — 720g ( 0.29lbs - 1.58lbs ) Which is similar to your choice. I think the stabilizer makes all the difference in the world for me. Happy Hunting.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby BrianR » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:54 pm

OK thanks Sidd -- the shops here in at least parts of the UK open April 12th and I intend to be outside the door waiting for that shop to open. Meanwhile I need to look for a new cover for the Samsung phone :( #-o
BrianR

Postby sidd finch » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Let us know how you like whatever you end up purchasing.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby BrianR » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:53 pm

Will do -- it's on its way. Too late (12:39 a.m. UK) to tell all now but after some chat with one of the guys in the shop on email, I took the leap of faith! Here's the specs from the makers https://www.feiyu-tech.com/g6max/ and specially here
specs https://www.feiyu-tech.com/g6max/specs.html The shop where I live has a 30-day no-quibble return policy but I'm hoping that wont be necessary. Incidentally, I think I read somewhere either in the shop site or the makers that as well as compatible with compacts etc it also fits smartphones. We'll see ... I'll tell you all about it in a week or two!

Brian
BrianR

Postby BrianR » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 am

Sad upshot! I'd got as far as connecting the FeiyuTech G6Max gimbal to my Panasonic Lumix TZ200 (named differently in UK/USA/elsewhere). The gimbal box comes with a Panasonic connector, but it's type C at one end (OK) but a DC2.5mm at the other. This is labelled specifically for Panasonics, but sorry to say the Lumix model that I have, although a great little camera for its size, doesn't have a receptor for that cable. And it doesn't have a facility for either a mic or headphones. (I had all those in the past with Canon DSLRs but as I've said ad nauseam I'm cutting down drastically -- can add commentary / and / or music later with Prem Elements!)

So regretfully (I'd come to quite like the FeiyuTech machine despite - can I say this - political misgivings) I've contacted the store, they have a 30-day return policy.

So back to square one. I must go back to check out that, what was the name, Hohem.

Thanks Sidd and John for the help. I shall revisit!

Best regards
Brian
BrianR

Postby sidd finch » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:26 am

Well that is sure disappointing. Does you camera have any connectors? Maybe you can some kind of adaptor cable?

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby BrianR » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:55 am

It has a C type connector which I use both for charging battery (although I have a separate charger for the spares) and for transferring still and videos to the computer. It can use both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth but I find them fiddly and not always reliable. In one way I'm not that unhappy about events because truth to tell, it was a little on the heavy side for extended use (including the carrying on walks!)

I've gone back to looking towards (only looking! Zhiyun and Osmo gimbals for smartphones but first I want to give the Samsung mobile a good trial on its own of videoing, including while walking just to see -- does it really need a gimbal as it is supposed to have internal stabilisation tech. The Osmo model 3 looks good (but I'm put off by model 4's 'improvement' with its magnetic attachment whacko!)

Best
Brian
BrianR

Postby BrianR » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:56 am

CORRECTION Not a standard C type -- it has its own Panasonic receptor thingy on the camera, with A type USB the other end.

PS revision exercise.... I see you mentioned the Osmo version 4, Sidd.
BrianR

PreviousNext

Return to Camcorders