They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Looking for a Mic

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Looking for a Mic

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:30 am

I have a Canon DM50 shotgun mic I used on the HV30. But, there is a loose connection somewhere and it creates static on occasion. I was very happy with this mic. Is it possible to find a mic that will fit the hotshoe of the HV30 and I can use on the 70D?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Looking for a Mic

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:43 am

Mom, could the contacts be a bit dirty or oxidized? You might be able to get a can of quick drying contact cleaner and see if that does the trick. I would clean where the mic makes contact with the camera as well as the battery terminals. Just a thought.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:06 pm

I did clean the contacts before I used it last time and still ended up with a little static on a clip. The mic uses the power from the camera so no battery. I think the problem is that the mic connection that goes into the hot shoe is bent somehow. It is loose even when tightened down.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:40 pm

The hotshoes on the 70D and HV30 are different. So, I would need a mic that does not get the power from the camcorder and requires a battery. Both cams have a 3.5 input.

Found the low end:
http://www.amazon.com/Neewer%C2%AE-SG-1 ... 40+and+70d

Found the high end:
http://www.amazon.com/Rode-VideoMic-Com ... camera+mic

Thoughts? Anything to recommend more in the middle price point?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:00 pm

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:21 am

Thanks Sidd :)
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm

I've been thinking of getting a mic too so I took a look at this. I see there is a link for a newer model of the Videomic on that page for a lower price. I was trying to find out what the difference was between the old and new model and haven't found much. The only difference in the description of the two is the Rycote Lyre Mount -- which is better than the old elastic style mounts. The discontinued model doesn't mention the Rycote mount at all. The photo shows it, but it may be an incorrect photo. Sidd, do you have this mic and, if you do, does it have the Rycote Mount? Do you know of any reason why we should consider the discontinued model instead of the newer, less expensive, one??
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:26 am

Bob I have the older model Rode video mic without the Rycote mount and it is a great mic. I have not had any issues with the suspension aspect of the mic so I cannot speak to the advantages of the Rycote mount. But the mic itself is outstanding. When I clicked the link for the newer mic it was listed as unaivable. I will look at the Rode website and see what specs they list the newer mic. The video mic go seems to be on the lower end of the spectrum. Just be aware that it is a directional mic and dual mono if that is what you are looking for.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks, Sidd!

My camera supports stereo, but I'm on the fence as to whether to go stereo or mono. I did go to a local store and look at stereo mics. I liked the sound quality of the Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro, but that was a bit more than I wanted to spend. It also picked up a lot more sound from the side. They didn't have the mono Rode Videomic in the store, so I couldn't compare the sound quality or side noise rejection.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pm

When I am using the Rodeo video mic I am usually looking to record something specific like a person talking or some sound in nature which is why I like the dual mono. I like to add background music into my recordings and I find that the stereo of the music mixes very nicely with the dual mono of the mic. I do not do a lot of live music recording anymore so I do not have a need for the stereo video mic.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:53 pm

I ordered this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Rode-VideoMic-Com ... camera+mic

Bob, if you want to wait awhile I can let you know how it handled. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but if it will work on the HV30 & the 70D I will be happy. And writing if off as CODW (cost of doing daughter's wedding)
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm not in a hurry. Let me know what you think of it.
Bob

Return to Camcorders