They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Videocams and photocams

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Re: Videocams and photocams

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Francesco,

Thank you. The video on Frame Rate vs Shutter Speed does help. I already understood that the two were not the same and had heard one should choose 2X the frames per second for shutter speed. I've been doing that in manual mode with my camcorder... and I've been getting blurred hummingbird wings. Next time I'm going to go for the fastest shutter speed and see if that helps get better wing definition the way their fast shutter speed caught the fan blades without blur. Come to think of it, I ought to get out the GoPro and set it up for slow motion photography and see what happens!

I really liked what they were able to do with the flow rate of the water. I tried many variations of shutter speed and aperture settings and a variable neutral density filter. Nothing I tried was able to totally blur falling water.

I agree about your experiments. I don't see a drastic difference between them. Perhaps changing the ISO evened things out???
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Francesco,

What camera are you using?

Would you try again using an f stop of f/11 instead of f/20. At f/20, it's likely that diffraction is making the image blurrier and making it more difficult to see the differences.

It would also help if you were closer to or zoomed into the action. Perhaps you could have someone briskly walking across the field of view, or maybe riding a bicycle. or have a automobile drive past. In other words, something that would make the motion blur more obvious.
Bob

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:21 am

Patrice,
I am new to this technique, so it will be very interesting for me to keep a timetable of this experience... perhaps on a new YouTube channel...
Perhaps increasing the shutter speed value (and consequently the ratio between it and the fps) will help. Considering how moving (in both senses, :love2: hehehe) is a hummingbird, I would experiment the highest fps from the start.... if I could, but I can't go beyond 60fps in NTSC mode and 50fps in Pal mode.
I am looking forward to having news from you !

Bob, I have Canon 600d and I have shot at the maximum focal length of 250mm (crop view is 1.6x in Canon).
I'll certain experiment again with a closest subject at a wider f-stop aperture, perhaps a revolving subject, as you recommend.

Making slowmotions could probably help evaluating.
I have found a video by Marco Mezzavilla that fantastically shows shots taken "with Canon60D mostly on the 24-70 f/2.8L, a few (...) on the 70-200f2.8L IS II, all (...) 50fps with a shutter speed < 1/1000 s.".
Edited with FCPX, slomoed with Twixtor PRO.

Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:59 pm

Wow. That's better slow motion than I thought was possible with 60fps.

I looked at Twixtor. If I remember correctly it can 'create' frames that simply are not there. But it was too expensive for me. I bought ProDad's ReSpeedr instead. I've been editing the same hummer footage in ReSpeeder but with different settings. I need to see how they compare to one another. Once done, I'll post them here.

This is an example of a bumblebee I slowed down 6 X with ReSpeedr:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBrwgFzLqU[/youtube]
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Your vid is set as private, Paz.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks, Dave. I just changed it to unlisted. It may take a few minutes for it to work. (showed for me!)
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:15 pm

:TU: That's really great. I love this kind of stuff.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:36 am

It looks very good, Patrice =D> !

I like the composition too, very good focus and bokeh !

I know also a free resource, Slwmovideo, the interface is a little austere, but intuitive:

http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/download.php
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Paz that looked really cool. It was good that the bee stayed in one place long enough to get the shot. Every time I try they are on a mission and do not stay long in one place.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:26 pm

Very nice macro Patrice! The ReSpeedr looks like it does a great job too. Twixtor is pricey.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:16 am

Thanks, all.

The video was quite short before being extended 6X. I believe I was trying out one or another of my home made gadgets to hold the camera steady. I probably used the ProDad Mercalli stabilizer too. (I'm doing much better getting more stable footage with my latest version of monopod with feet. It just isn't very flexible in terms of trying to go around objects.)

I wanted to push the leaf away at the beginning. I remember that. But the camera lens was only about 3 inches above this bee and I didn't dare make him angry! It is sort of creepy to watch. Who knew bumble bees kept their hands so clean??? :-8

I'm still trying to figure out which settings to use in ReSpeedr. When it works right, it does great but sometimes either my original shutter speed is too low or else I guess I've chosen the wrong settings.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:19 am

This video from Kerry Garrison helps much more:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lItCq5Gp6vw[/youtube]
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:31 am

I tried again with a 33 rpm record "played" at 45 rpm.

I perceive that the words on the label are a little easier to read as the shutter speed value increases (correspondingly, the f-stop value must decrease), only in the try at 25 fps.

Turning, on the contrary, looks more fluid at a low value of shutter speed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px29V5_SPHc[/youtube]

I will definitely experiment again ... :conf:
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:41 pm

What a fascinating test, Francesco!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:42 pm

Steve, I have to think about a different object to shoot turning,
something similar to a bycicle wheel or to a paper windmill.

The first result - and the obvious one, but not for me definitely until now - is that every single frame shows a more or less blurred image.

Here are the snapshots from the video of the experiments at 25 fps at the three shutter speed values:

Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Camcorders