They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Panasonic HC-V700MK

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Panasonic HC-V700MK

Postby Uncle Ben » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:28 pm

I picked up this camcorder yesterday after reading dozens of reviews and watching a few YouTube videos of footage taken with it.

Needless to say that I couldn't wait to try it out. I took a 3-minute video of our city street last night, with just the street lights and a few homes lit up. Of course the video is dark, but there is hardly any grain at all; and I can see full detail of cars parked 100 yards away, tag number, etc. Then this morning, I took another short video of our backyard fall colours. Unbelievable colours and detail!

This camera replaces a SD Everio GZ-MS240, and a Sony HDR-PJ210B that became defective just after one day -- hope I have better luck with the Panasonic. But as far as performance goes, the V700 is like day and night compared to the other two. The full day-time clips are breathtaking, for me that is; and the low-light indoors and outdoors clips are the best I have ever seen in a camera in this price range.

That being said, I'm a newbie, so my assessment may not be as good as that of a more experienced hobbyist or pro. But for me, insasmuch as I was disappointed yesterday to have to return the Sony, I'm now as happy as can be. :exc:
Uncle Ben

Re: Panasonic HC-V700MK

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 pm

Sounds like a happy ending to me, Ben!

The low light test is a great test for seeing how well a camcorder performs under challenging conditions. Sounds like yours passed with flying, uh, colors!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm

I've been seriously looking at this camcorder as well as the Panasonic 900MK. I've read lots of online reviews, but that's not the same thing as a real user's review. I'd love to hear your thoughts now that you've had this cam a while. What do you like? Not like?

One review, on the 900 I think, mentioned it was possible to have the subject in focus with the background out of focus and the subject didn't have to be centered, but beyond that, the writer was not specific. Would this be done using the focusing ring on the front of the camera? Perhaps with f/stop set wide open in manual mode?

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 am

That type of deep focus would probably best be done manually, Paz, using the cam's focus ring.

And, as you probably know from camera optics, shooting in dimmer light and also shooting from farther away using a more telescopic or zoomed in lens will also give you deeper focus.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 am

Some camcorders support "touch" focus. That is you touch the object on the LCD screen that you want in focus and the camera focuses on that.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks, Steve and Paul.

I checked, and my new JVC GZ-GX1 has the 'touch screen' focus feature, but you have to touch the screen so hard to activate it that the camera moves, even on a tripod.

I'm still torn between the JVC and the Panasonic.

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:41 pm

_Paz_ wrote:I checked, and my new JVC GZ-GX1 has the 'touch screen' focus feature, but you have to touch the screen so hard to activate it that the camera moves, even on a tripod.

Same on my Canon, but I've not found it to be an issue since I just edit it out in post. However, if you were wanting to change focus subjects on the fly in real time I can see how it would be a problem.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Yes, that's what I had in mind. And hopefully done with a remote control unit.

I'm not through testing but I currently believe my JVC GZ-GX1's remote will control zoom only.

(the GZ-GX1 comes with touch screen 'pointing' tool, and I've figured out that the pen tool for my laptop's built in Wacom type pad will function with the touch screen as well, but again, it take more than a delicate touch.)
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Yeah, my Canon comes with one of those (useless) pointing tools too, but I quickly found that a finger works just as good and I don't have to worry about keeping it handy or losing it. I can usually find a finger when I need one. :)
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 am

Dave McElderry wrote:.....I can usually find a finger when I need one. :)

:hyst:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm

:no: I'm not touching that one!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Uncle Ben » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:47 am

_Paz_ wrote:I've been seriously looking at this camcorder as well as the Panasonic 900MK. I've read lots of online reviews, but that's not the same thing as a real user's review. I'd love to hear your thoughts now that you've had this cam a while. What do you like? Not like?

One review, on the 900 I think, mentioned it was possible to have the subject in focus with the background out of focus and the subject didn't have to be centered, but beyond that, the writer was not specific. Would this be done using the focusing ring on the front of the camera? Perhaps with f/stop set wide open in manual mode?

thanks,

Paz

Hi, Paz. There isn't much that I don't like. But that being said, please understand that my experience with home video as a hobby is rather limited. Prior to this camera, I had a JVC GZ-MS240, which is a standard camcorder; and for stills, I'm still using my >15 year old Sony DSC-S85.

Compared to the JVC, it's like day and night, even if I set aside the resolution advantage of the Panasonic. The ergonomics are better, the night shots are superb for a camera in this price range; and the Optical Image Stabilizer is fantastic. One feature that I like a lot is the highlight playback functionality, which extracts highlights from a long recording and plays it back with music and effects, using a selection of themes: Pop, Natural, Classical, Dynamic and Custom. That functionality may not be for everyone, certainly not for the expert. But for a novice like me, it produces stunning videos, with a dynamism and synchronicity of music/film that I could never achieve manually. The video zooms in and out, in tandem with the tempo ... If you go on YouTube, you'll see a few examples of what I mean. With the HDMI connection, I can take a look at those immediately. So while this is not something I'd use for a final video production, it sure comes handy when in the company of friends and relatives.

What don't I like? Well, the stills could be better, hence the reason why I'm still (pun intended) using my DSC-S85--I find the color rendering noticeably better. That's not to say that the V700MK stills are not good, they are ... but I prefer the Sony.

We have a 7km nature trail running the perimeter of our neighbourhood, which I try to walk every time the weather cooperates; and I always take the cam on my shoulder. Earlier this week, I spotted an a red-tailed hawk perched on a tree some 300 to 400 yards away. I had to max out the zoom and of course, without a tripod, I had difficulty focusing and there's a lot of shaking. But for the few seconds that I was able to hold still, the video is superb! I'm not kidding you, I can see the claws on that bird!

I'm really happy with this camera. I hope this helps. Good luck with your purchase!
Uncle Ben

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Ben,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Does your HC-V700MK have the feature that turns it off if it is pointed at the ground? If so, can this feature be turned off?

Do you have a remote control? If so, can it be used for focusing as well as zooming?

thanks,

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Uncle Ben » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 pm

_Paz_ wrote:Ben,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Does your HC-V700MK have the feature that turns it off if it is pointed at the ground? If so, can this feature be turned off?

Do you have a remote control? If so, can it be used for focusing as well as zooming?

thanks,

Paz

My pleasure. As for the two questions you raised, the answer is no to both unfortunately.
Uncle Ben

Postby Uncle Ben » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:01 am

Just a couple more points I should mention about this camera.

Even though I said that there wasn't much that I didn't like about it, I still wish it had a view finder, which comes very handy when the sun and the subject fail to cooperate. I can get by simply by adjusting the angle of the screen a little.

On the plus side, I like the fact that the touch screen functions includes a recording button, which comes extremely handy when recording a waist level while walking.

If you haven't already done so, the Owner's Manual is available on the Panasonic web site. It may be worth your while to give it a quick read and see if this camera includes all the functionality that you think will work for you.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HC-V700MK?t=manuals

Should you decide to buy, shop around, Google it, there good deals available out there. I paid $150 less than the suggested retail price.

HTH. Good luck with your purchase.
Uncle Ben

Next

Return to Camcorders