They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Recording in Audacity

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Recording in Audacity

Postby Jayell » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:25 pm

When I record in Audacity, it seems as though the sound comes out really low (20-30). I have the input level in Audacity turned all the way up, talking fairly loudly, got the mic pretty close. I know I can turn it up once I get it into PRE7, but is there anything else I can do have the recording volume higher. Is it affected by any other computer settings?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Recording in Audacity

Postby Wheat King » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi Jayell,

you could try modifying the sound input setting for the device you are working with. Which OS are you using? on Vista. It's Control Panel\Manage Hardware and Sound. Then click on Manage Audio Devices. a property box will appear that shows all the audio devices. Select Recording tab and then the appropriate device. then select properties and another dialog box appears with three tabs. Select levels tab and adjust. If using XP I seem to remember this was a little more complex of difficult to find... been awhile...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:53 pm

In XP, if you have the little speaker icon in the taskbar double click.
The the Volume Control window opens and you can select 'Options' and 'Properties'.
Then select the 'Recording' option and press 'OK'.

That will open the Recording Control Window with sliders to control the volume. You want to raise the volume on either 'Stereo Mix' or 'What You Hear', computers have one or the other but not usually both.

You can also get to the Recording Control by going to Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices Properties and then click on Volume under Sound Recording :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks, Jamal .. that did it! :TU: ! I've got Win7/64-bit, but it works the same. I'd looked in there before, but didn't quite make it to the LEVELS screen. Your screen shot helped get me there!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:That will open the Recording Control Window with sliders to control the volume. You want to raise the volume on either 'Stereo Mix' or 'What You Hear', computers have one or the other but not usually both.

Thanks for the additional direction, Chuck. If you'll recall, I'm the one that keeps buying computers that don't have the Stereo Mix/What You Hear options. :( But problem resolved.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Sometimes, that "picture is worth... " is correct.

It's especially useful, as things have been moved from XP to Vista, and then again in Win7.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats