They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audacity - Not selecting speakers to record from. !

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Audacity - Not selecting speakers to record from. !

Postby andrewmpalmer2003 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:13 am

HI all,

After following Steve learing videio to get Audacity to record from my speakers, I have come to a problem.

Here are my settings -

Dell Diension
Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
4 GB RAM
Loads of Hard Drive 1x160 1x500 1x1.5Tb !!!!
Audio - Sigma Tel high defintion audio, although i have Creative speakers !, with some bass speaker/amp. they all plug into !

When i go into Start,Control Panel, Sounds & Audio Devices, under the audio and voive the advance setting of the sound recording and voice recording are greyed out.

In Audacity, which I have just removed and re installed, I have Rear Mic, Mic, and Line In, which ties up with the settings in my sound card settings!.

I have tried looking for new drivers for Audio - Sigma Tel high defintion audio, for my machine, however I'm at a stop point at the moment as I cannot seem to find any. !

I may try to have a fiddle to see where they are pluged into at the rear of my PC, i seem to have loads of leads, and need a little more organisation.

Andrew

8-[
andrewmpalmer2003
New User
New User

Re: Audacity - Not selecting speakers to record from. !

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:20 am

That's actually Chuck's tutorial, Andrew -- so hopefully he'll chime in with a solution.

I know that I've experienced the same thing as you are on one of my computers. The option just isn't there! So it may just be a limitation of some sound hardware configurations.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:48 am

I also have a Dell with Sigma tel high def audio. Are you trying to record from your speakers .. or from your computer? That sound card doesn't have the option to record from the computer (Stereo Mix .. or What You Hear). Dell suggested I purchased some additional software, and I've yet to find any driver updates that helped. :pull: I wouldn't have bought the computer had I know that limitation. But perhaps your issue is slightly different .. ?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:52 am

I can check on my Dimension later but one thing I remember is that you have to enable the recording options in the Windows Volume Control.

If you have the little speaker in your taskbar, bottom right of your desktop, you can just click on the speaker. Otherwise you will need to open Volume Control from Control Panel.

With the Volume Control window open select 'Options' and then 'Properties'.
Under Properties make sure that Sigma Tel Audio is selected in the drop down and then select the Recording option. Make sure all of the options are checked, that should do it :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:10 am

Hey, Chuck! That fixed it on mine! Thanks! (Except that, on mine, which is a Sound Blaster card, I went to Recording Properties and checked Stereo Mix.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby andrewmpalmer2003 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:40 am

sorry gentlemen,

I have done all of the following

-----------------
I can check on my Dimension later but one thing I remember is that you have to enable the recording options in the Windows Volume Control.

If you have the little speaker in your taskbar, bottom right of your desktop, you can just click on the speaker. Otherwise you will need to open Volume Control from Control Panel.

With the Volume Control window open select 'Options' and then 'Properties'.
Under Properties make sure that Sigma Tel Audio is selected in the drop down and then select the Recording option. Make sure all of the options are checked, that should do it
---------------------

and i have to totally agree with Jayell ------------

also have a Dell with Sigma tel high def audio. Are you trying to record from your speakers .. or from your computer? That sound card doesn't have the option to record from the computer (Stereo Mix .. or What You Hear). Dell suggested I purchased some additional software, and I've yet to find any driver updates that helped. :pull: I wouldn't have bought the computer had I know that limitation. But perhaps your issue is slightly different .. ?

Sorry, i have done all of the folloiwng with my audio setting looks like sigmatel just does not like Audacity, I may try the same procedure from another PC just to see if it works ok....Looks like the in-laws PC will take another testing !

Andrew
andrewmpalmer2003
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:23 am

I have two computers with Sigma Tel audio and they do not have a problem with Audacity at all. They both have the option Stereo Mix (which is 'What You Hear') and record just fine.

There are many updates for audio drivers at Dell for the Dimensions, what model do you have?

Also, under the Windows Volume Control Properties for Recording, what options do you have?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby andrewmpalmer2003 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Dell Dimension - DXP051 Intel (R) Pentenuim (R) 4 CPU 3 Ghz, 2.99 Ghz.

Also, under the Windows Volume Control Properties for Recording, what options do you have?
Mixer Devices - answer Sigma .....
Adjust for Playback - dot for each one
Recording - dot for each one
Other - ALL GREYED OUT
5 OPTIONS OF PLAYBACK, Vol Control, wave, SW Syntn, CD Player & Input Monitor, all ticked
3 OPTIONS OF RECORDING, Line in, Rear MIC, & Microphone, all ticked.

No other options under properties, if you would like more, i can give you screen shots.

Many Thanks for you help.

Andrew
andrewmpalmer2003
New User
New User

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:23 pm

andrewmpalmer2003 wrote:Sorry, i have done all of the folloiwng with my audio setting looks like sigmatel just does not like Audacity,Andrew

It has nothing to do with Audacity. It's the sound card.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:36 pm

True, it has nothing to do with Audacity it is all in the audio driver.
Audacity will let you use whatever the sound card has available.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:42 pm

andrewmpalmer2003 wrote:Dell Dimension - DXP051 Intel (R) Pentenuim (R) 4 CPU 3 Ghz, 2.99 Ghz.

Andrew

Andrew, I can't find anything with reference to that model Dell Dimension.
Are you sure that is the correct model number? The model number is usually located around the on/off button on the front of the machine. I have a 8300 and a 4550, also an Optiplex that has the same specs as a 8400. Yours could be a XPS model also, but not a DXP051.

Thanks

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby andrewmpalmer2003 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:28 am

Sorry Dell Dimension 9150, is that any better, I got the other reference from properties under under computer.

Andrew
andrewmpalmer2003
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:07 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Hey, Chuck! That fixed it on mine! Thanks! (Except that, on mine, which is a Sound Blaster card, I went to Recording Properties and checked Stereo Mix.)

Glad that got it working for you Steve. Here is what I wrote ;)
Chuck wrote:in the drop down and then select the Recording option. Make sure all of the options are checked,

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:26 am

Hi Andrew and Jayell,
Here is a list of all drivers for the SigmaTel STAC 92xx C-Major HD Audio.
This is the only option for the Dimension 9150 other than the optional SoundBlaster card.

Jayell, if you have the same audio this may work for you also but the drivers do not say what changes are made from one to the next. If you are not sure this is your version of audio then don't install the new driver. If you want you can can always give it a try and then reinstall the old driver if the new one doesn't work. Make sure you have a copy of your old driver first. If you let me know what model Dell you have I can check it out for you.

Andrew, I know that this is the correct audio for you and the correct drivers.
Whether the new driver will work or not is another story. The driver on your machine is version A05 from 2005. You should download and install version A08 for starters and see if that fixes the problem. If it causes your audio not to work or causes other problems then download and install version A05 again.

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio Drivers

Let us know what happens, this could be a nice fix for more than just your machine :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Not sure what the SigmaTelSTAC92xx means, Chuck. My system information shows:
SigmaTel HD Audio Codec, current driver 5.10.4991.0, which is similar to numbers shown in your listing (but not sure what the A07, A08, etc. represents)
I've got a Dell XPS 410. Although it isn't a MAJOR issue for me, as I'm about to get a new machine, as soon as I can figure out what I really need .. getting tangled up in some of the technicalities :???:
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats