They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audacity - "Input Source" Control Not Active

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Audacity - "Input Source" Control Not Active

Postby rusty » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:44 pm

I am trying to capture a piece of audio from a video clip of a children's choir singing at a wedding, so I can use the audio as the audio for the DVD menu. I watched Chuck's two tutorials on Audacity and thought I would give it a try. I downloaded it, opened a New File and tried to set the input source as Stereo Mix (or whatever the version's equivalent of that is) as per the tutorial. However, the input source box is empty and the drop-down menu is not active so there is nothing to choose from. When I play the video clip and click the record button in Audacity, it is recording but it seems to be recording through the computer's external microphone, not through the computer - as a result, I will get other noise unless the house is silent (good luck with Call of Duty Modern Warfare going on in the family room next door!). Any idea why there are no choices in the input source box?
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Audacity - "Input Source" Control Not Active

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Are you using a sound card, or integrated audio? I think it's in your sound card settings, or in your integrated audio settings. I only use integrated audio (Realtek), which has been known to cause a number of problems. So far I've worked past them and been able to do most anything I've needed to do. I had this same issue and figured it out by digging around in my audio control settings.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Jayell » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:15 pm

A lot of the Dell computers were being delivered without that option :-). So there's probably others that also don't.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rusty » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks Dave. I have Realteck integrated audio - I've been playing around with my sound setting a little but so far no luck. If anyone has any specific suggestions, I'd sure appreciate the help!
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Was watching the Bucks win the Rose Bowl. Now going to have some supper. Will then go poke around my settings to see what I can find for you.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Try this solution and see if it works for you
viewtopic.php?p=57884#p57884

Otherwise sometimes just updating the audio driver will do the trick.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:09 pm

It took a little digging, but here's how to get to Stereo Mix. You don't say what your operating system is, but there are a couple of ways to get there:

Go to Sound in the Control Panel's classic view
Select the Recording tab and right-click any of the devices listed.
Check "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".
Stereo Mix should show up. Set it as default.

Or on my Windows 7 system, and probably Vista:

Right click on the volume control in the taskbar and go to recording devices. This will get you to the same place as above and you can continue from there.

Dave McElderry

Postby rusty » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:45 pm

Dave - success! ::CLAP: Thank you so much for helping me out so late and on New Year's Day no less. I am running Windows 7. I got Stereo Mix to show up by following your instructions - the only additional thing I had to do was to enable it (given it was on the Disabled Devices list). However, Audacity still did not want to show it in the "input source" box so I reinstalled Audacity and, presto, there it was. I had to tinker a bit in order to trim the beginning and end a little, and to fade out the end, as I'm not familiar with the program (yet), but I have my audio clip and it has now been added as the audio loop for the DVD menu and all is well. I'm on my way armed and dangerous. I'm burning the DVD as we speak and I will have it ready for an early morning departure to catch the ferry to Vancouver Island. Many thanks again!! :TU:
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:53 am

Very welcome Rusty. Glad it worked for you.

Dave McElderry

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats