They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing Length of Audio

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Editing Length of Audio

Postby Chuck Carr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:58 am

I just downloaded the "Grand Canyon Suite" from iTunes. It is over 8 minutes long and I want to use about two minutes worth to enhance a set of horseback trail ride pictures that we took last July in Alaska. Is there a way to edit the music outside of PREL 7.0 without changing the original download or must I import the whole piece into PREL and edit it there?

Chuck Carr in Toronto, Canada
Computer: HP Pavilion Elite, 64 bit, AMD Phenom X, 910 Processor 2.6 Mhz. RAM = 8 Gb.
Chuck Carr

Re: Editing Length of Audio

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:42 am

Check out the free audio editing software Audacity.

It's very easy to trim your audio down to a much shorter clip and the export it as a new WAV or MP3 file (not changing the original, of course).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:26 pm

You can cut it up with premiere elements just like you would with a video clip.
Problem is that it is a little harder editing audio than video.

Steve's recommendation of Audacity is an excellent one. I use it all the time for editing music for use in video projects. Makes the process much easier, IMO.

We have a 3 part Audacity tutorial to help get you started :)
http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=6
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Carr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Chuck & Steve,

I am out of my element as usual. As you know, I am in the process of creating a slide show in PREL 7.0 for the family, which I will later extend into a video after I have "saved it as another name". My son-in-law, who uses a Mac, told me that the songs that I purchased from iTunes, will work on my PC computer, but the music won't play on other people's DVD players, etc., because they don't have the songs on their computer.

The files that I downloaded from iTunes seem to have a "CDA" extension. Accordingly, I copied the iTunes files over to a CD and then pasted them into my "final selections" folder that holds all the pictures etc., for my slideshow. I then opened the slideshow in PREL and proceeded to import the songs into my Alaska slideshow project. PREL did not identify the four songs even when I changed the extension to all files. Will Audacity help me here?

I Googled Audacity file converter and arrived at PC Magazine. Is that where I download Audacity from or do you have a bertter source?

Best regards,

Chuck Carr
Computer: HP Pavilion Elite, 64 bit, AMD Phenom X, 910 Processor 2.6 Mhz. RAM = 8 Gb.
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Here is the link to the audacity download
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

As far as the songs go, you have to burn them to a CD and then rip them back to your computer.
You can use iTunes or Windows Media Player to do both the burning and ripping.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Carr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Chuck,

Thanks for this!

Chuck Carr
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Carr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Chuck,

I have burned the four songs to a CD using iTunes, then ripped them back to my computer using Media Player (They would have gone back to iTunes playlist.) I have renamed the songs, but can't copy and paste them to my Final Alaska folder. Any thoughts?

Chuck Carr
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:55 pm

What format did you rip them back to the computer as? WMA?
I always use iTunes for everything when it comes to audio management, burning, ripping, transferring to my iPod and stuff like that.

Don't know what you mean by
Chuck Carr wrote:) I have renamed the songs, but can't copy and paste them to my Final Alaska folder.

What do you mean by can't copy and paste, what happens that stops you?
Why did you have to rename the songs? Did you change the file extension when you did that?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Carr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Chuck,

As I said earlier, I am out of my element here. I don't remember making a choice when I burned the songs to the CD. I did not rip the songs back using iTunes, because I didn't think that I would be unable to distinguish between the original iTunes and the new ripped songs. I changed the name (but not the extension) to identify what the songs were. Track 1, etc., is not very descriptive. Please advise! I will keep trying until I get it right.

Chuckcarr
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Carr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Chuck,

When I opened Media Player and edited the song names, I then highlighted the four songs and right click them to select copy. There was no copy option.

Chuck
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:12 pm

What format are the files you ripped back to your computer Chuck?
In iTunes there is a option for the format to rip the songs, MP3, AAC, WAV and others.
Go to the Edit menu and select General, then Import Settings. Under the Import Settings select either MP3 or WAV.
If you select MP3 then set the Setting to Higher Quality (192kbps). That is the way I import CDs.

The same goes for Media Player; From the main menu select Tools and then Options and then click on the Rip Music.
You have options there for WAV, MP3 and WMA (Windows Media Audio) among others. Choose WAV or MP3.
You can set the destination of the imported files and the quality. Set the quality to at least 192kbps for MP3 or WMA, I use 256.

Please verify that your settings for ripping audio are set to the correct format.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Carr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Chuck,

Thanks for this! I will delete all the burning and ripping that I have done and try again. If I use iTunes for both burning and ripping, as you do, does the new ripped file overwrite the original downloaded songs from iTunes?

Best regards,

Chuck Carr

PS I have downloaded Audacity. Is there a full length tutorial to help me learn how to use it? The short tutorials don't do it for me.
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:16 pm

The ripped files will not overwrite the originals, they won't even be the same name.
The new files will come in as Track 1, Track 2, ...
then you can rename them to whatever you want.

What short tutorials are you talking about? Lots of people here use Audacity and can help you get started. It isn't as hard as it may seem to start with.

Lots of tutorials on YouTube, here's one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5K1ZsoO1sU[/youtube]

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Carr » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Chuck,

Thanks again! I'm on my way to YouTube. Let the fun begin.

Chuck Carr
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Carr » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Chuck,

I downloaded Audacity and viewed the Audacity tutorials on Youube. Everything makes sense. I also have the songs in iTunes convereted to MP3s. I loaded Audacity, selected NEW and opened the Grand Canyon Suite - On the Trail. It plays very clearly, however, when I highlight a selection and click on the scissors (CUT) nothing happens and all the drop down menus are greyed out. What am I doing wrong?

Best regards,

Chuck carr
Chuck Carr

Next

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats