They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing Length of Audio

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Re: Editing Length of Audio

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Chuck Carr,

Obviously too late, as you are now probably working on a snowmobile video and using different music.

Here's my workflow for similar.

1.) Download the music from iTunes Store to my computer.
2.) Create a Playlist with the music that I need. IIRC, and it has not changed, you can burn a single Playlist 7x.
3.) Burn that Playlist to CD-Audio - CDA extension.
4.) Use Audition (substitute Audacity here) to rip from that CD,edit as required and Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit.
5.) Import the Save_As WAV into Premiere for use, or additional editing.

If I need to lengthen a piece, I will do that in Audition, choosing segments, and then basically adding Audio Transitions as required. This could also be done in Premiere, but Audition (or Audacity offers more control).

I tend to shy away from MP3, as a format for several reasons. The iTunes music has been compressed to M4a (a proprietary version of MP3) already, so additional compression is not something that I want to deal with.

If one uses a similar workflow, your Mac-friend's concerns will not be valid. The Audio will play in Premiere, and will play from the DVD. You are not working with any "reference files," but the real deal.

Sorry to be so late to the party, and glad that you got it sorted.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby mferris » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:07 am

Steve, Chuck, or Bob - a question on audio editing in PE9: On the movie I'm making, there are a couple of situations where I want to use a low-volume song lead-in to introduce a video segment, but I'd like the lead-in to last longer than it actually does on the song. The only way I've found to do this is to cut, then copy the song introduction to a second -- and even a third -- audio track, line them up sequentially, then try to fine-tune the alignment and the trimming so that the song intro acts like a loop. My narration is on a separate track, then when the video comes in and my narration is finished, I bring the volume of the song up, and the final iteration of the song "loop" continues right into the main part of the song.

This has turned out to be a rather painstaking process -- mainly because I can't figure out how to make really fine adjustments to the audio clips, to eliminate hesitations in the rhythm of the loop, caused by the fact that it's assembled from 2 or 3 clips on different tracks. I did figure out that moving the CTI completely out of the region helps, due to the "snap-to" effect, but it's still a very time consuming process.

My question is this: is there a good way to "nudge" a clip (audio or video") a really short distance along a track? My intuitive guess was that maybe the arrow keys, along with a large zoom, might accomplish this, but the arrow keys seem only to move the CTI around.

Would appreciate any suggestions . . . thanks!

Mike
mferris
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:47 am

I've also extended a song's lead-in, as you have. But I usually do it on a single audio track, adding an audio transition between the two parts of the song to smooth the transition between them.

I'll even sometimes look at the waveform on the audio clips and try to trim the two clips so that the clips end or begin on a beat, so the musical rhythm is seamless.

The best way I've found to nudge audio (or any clip for that matter) is to zoom in as close as I can (by pressing the + key). Then I position the CTI playhead to where I want the clip to move. If you do this and then nudge the clip, it will snap right to the CTI's position! You can get pretty precise with that move.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mferris » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks, Steve -- I hadn't thought about actually using the CTI's "snap-to" feature to nudge a clip . . . but it makes sense, and I'll give it a try.

Regarding the audio transition, not sure I understand how that works. I've only used a couple of transitions on video, but not on audio clips. Will need to explore audio transitions in more detail. Which transition would be the appropriate one to use, and how does it contribute to smoothing the rhythm?
mferris
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:12 pm

There are only two audio transitions, and they're virtually identical. In other words, they're both variations on an audio dissolve. If you match up two parts of a song and put either transition between them, you'll get a smooth fade from one clip to the next.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mferris » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks again, Steve -- I'll try it out. Have a great weekend, and thanks for all your help!

Mike
mferris
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:46 pm

There's also a technique which I've used successfully many times. Place the audio clips on two different tracks and overlap the ending of one with the beginning of the other. As you fade out the first gradually, fade in the second on top of it, gradually. Think of it as a transition that takes an extended amount of time. This can be 10 or 15 seconds, depending on the music. You might think that it would turn out to be a garbled mess, and with some music it might be, but many times the ear doesn't even realize wha't going on. Before you know what happened, you're back listening to the beginning of the clip.

A variation on this is to fade out the first clip anywhere you want to in the middle, while picking up at another chosen point on the second clip. This works well if you have a specific amount of video or slideshow that you want to fill and want the music and video to end together.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby mferris » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Good idea, Dave. I'm guessing it' pretty effective when the music is low volume behind a narration.
mferris
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:51 pm

mferris wrote:Good idea, Dave. I'm guessing it' pretty effective when the music is low volume behind a narration.

It's actually worked out well even in slideshows with only music for a soundtrack. It does work better if it's just instrumental though. It surprised me the first time I tried it because I wasn't expecting it to be so seamless.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Jayell » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:15 am

Dave McElderry wrote: Place the audio clips on two different tracks and overlap the ending of one with the beginning of the other.

That's how I've always blended my background music. That way, if there's a 'ta-da' or 'big ending,' you can back that out before you blend. I've also been surprised at how well it works.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats