They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Any ideas for presentation microphone?

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Any ideas for presentation microphone?

Postby videovillageidiot » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Howdy! Hope everyone is doing well, staying safe, staying away from those not in your household, and getting along well with those that are in your household!

I did a presentation a few months ago at an assisted living facility. Once the covid thing is behind us, I hope to do more, in a variety of settings, maybe at community centers, etc. The presentation consists of a Powerpoint and me talking. I think that, in some settings, my voice may not carry well. Which has me wondering about microphones. Can anyone suggest a cheap solution? Thanks!!

Did I post in the correct place?
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Any ideas for presentation microphone?

Postby sidd finch » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:41 pm

What price point are you looking at, and what amplification system will you be using?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby videovillageidiot » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:39 pm

sidd finch wrote:What price point are you looking at, and what amplification system will you be using?

Sidd

Thanks Sidd!!!

OK, that's part of my problem...i should have said i don't know anything about microphones. Is there something that is just a standalone mike? Otherwise, what do I need? I've seen others do presentations but I never paid attention to their equipment. I don't anticipate doing these in an auditorium; maybe just a pretty big room.

And as for price point, I mean really cheap. This is just something I do for fun and I've already purchased a projector to display the Powerpoint, and, since my laptop has a flaky hinge and will need to be replaced if I'm going to haul it around much, I really don't want to invest much at all.

Hope that narrows things down. :-) Basically, I guess I need some info on mikes and what equipment is involved.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 01, 2020 6:56 am

This is the kind of thing I wear when I'm giving walking tours.
https://www.amazon.com/ZOWEETEK-Amplifi ... 970&sr=8-7

You wear the microphone like a headset and you wear the speaker on your belt or from a strap around your shoulder.

They can be had for as little as $20 or as much as $90. I'd recommend buying something at least mid-way between. The cheap ones are squawky and wear out quickly.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Steve's option might be the best thing you could hope for on a slim budget. Otherwise you are looking at a wireless headset and receiver along with a mixer/amplifier combo and PA Speaker setup. Probably a minimum of around $300 and that's going with some really cheap stuff you probably won't like the sound of anyway ::C
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri May 01, 2020 10:50 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:This is the kind of thing I wear when I'm giving walking tours.
https://www.amazon.com/ZOWEETEK-Amplifi ... 970&sr=8-7

You wear the microphone like a headset and you wear the speaker on your belt or from a strap around your shoulder.

They can be had for as little as $20 or as much as $90. I'd recommend buying something at least mid-way between. The cheap ones are squawky and wear out quickly.

Thank you Steve! This looks like a great solution...I knew the fine folks here would have an answer. :exc: :yh:

I'm looking forward to trying this out when people can gather again. Hmmm...does the mic work well when wearing a mask? :-k

BTW, are your walking tours are on hold for the time being? I hope life gets back to normal for you soon. Thanks again Steve!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Steve's option might be the best thing you could hope for on a slim budget. Otherwise you are looking at a wireless headset and receiver along with a mixer/amplifier combo and PA Speaker setup. Probably a minimum of around $300 and that's going with some really cheap stuff you probably won't like the sound of anyway ::C

Steve's idea looks like it'll work for me! And inexpensive, too!

This is such a wonderful group of people - always helping me out! THANKS Muvipix!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats