They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVI still desirable for editing?

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

AVI still desirable for editing?

Postby Red Sanders » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:04 pm

Some years ago in a thread titled "Converting VHS to Digital Video files" (Nov. 17, 2011) Steve advised "My only qualification would be that the service company does the conversion to DV-AVI video. (Most will assume you just want it on DVD.)

My family continues to find home movies on 8mm film and VHS tapes to give to me to digitize. I'm still using Premiere Elements 14 for edits. So, isn't AVI still the best format to convert them to since I plan on editing them?

Thanks for any help on this "old" topic!
Red Sanders
New User
New User

Re: AVI still desirable for editing?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Man, was that a LONG time ago, Red. The world has changed a lot since then. Especially video.

MP4s are just fine as an editable format now (assuming you're using a relatively current version of any video editing program). And 640x480 MP4s are just fine for converting your family's old movies.

DV-AVIs are of course still perfectly acceptable. But just make sure that they're DV-format AVIs. AVIs are just a delivery format, so an AVI could be made up of any of thousands of codecs, most of which don't edit well.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: AVI still desirable for editing?

Postby Red Sanders » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:55 pm

Steve, I just don't know how you do it - respond so quickly as you do.

Anyway, at 76 years old, 7 years ain't that long ago for an old timer like me! :no: Some of the tapes they are giving me are 20+ years old! Some of the 8mm tapes are much older than that! (God knows what else they have stored in their closets!!!)

Anyway, I always very much appreciate all the guidance that you provide, and I will proceed accordingly.
Red Sanders
New User
New User

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats