They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AUDIO SAMPLING RATE FOR VIDEOS

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

AUDIO SAMPLING RATE FOR VIDEOS

Postby HSA » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:30 pm

I have a large music library, using Media Monkey for listening, ripping CDs to hard drive, burning CDs, etc. When ripping CDs, Media Monkey allows for various formats. Because my output is to a high quality audio system; I used to rip to WAV, now to FLAC ---- never to MP3.

In ripping CDs, another option is sampling rate: 44.1 kHz, 48kHz and even greater. Because the origin has usually been CD, I’ve chosen the “native” 44.1 kHz.

I recently read in the Premier Elements manual and Steve’s book that 48kHz is the standard for audio in a video. I am practicing on my first project and wish to add some background music, which is already on my hard drive in WAV or FLAC, at the 44.1 kHz sampling rate. For practice, I added a WAV/44.1 audio and it seemed ok (but I was listening on my computer speakers, not the good audio system).

I can go back and re-rip a CD to 48kHz if intending to incorporate the music in a video project.

What would you recommend?

Thank you.
HSA

Re: AUDIO SAMPLING RATE FOR VIDEOS

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:52 pm

48k and 44.1k are virtually indistinguishable, HSA. I'd keep what I have now.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Audio sample rates for video projects in Premiere Elements are 48k because most camcorders record at that rate. If the audio rate of your source audio is not 48k, Premiere Elements will conform it to 48k.

The native audio rate for CDs is 44.1k. Re-ripping to 48k will essentially do the same thing that Premiere Elements does when it confirms the audio to 48k. I'd use it as is and not re-rip it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby HSA » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Thank you both.

As you probably know, in the world of high-end audio, one of the areas of concern is minimizing the artifacts of analogue-to-digital, digital-to-analog, or multiple-digital conversion(s).

Being entirely new to the video world, I was thinking that by avoiding one additional digital-format to digital-format conversion would avoid slightly the degradation of the audio signal. I suppose that in the realm of videos, however, the second conversion (from 44.1k to 48k) is essentially meaningless.

Thanks again,

Howard
HSA

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:20 am

Remember, the 44.1k and 48k rates are sampling rates -- not bit rates. Conversion from 44.1k to 48k is a resampling rather than an interpolation. Assuming the algorithm used is equivalent, it doesn't matter whether you do it in your ripping software or in Premiere Elements. I've never found this to be an issue in audio quality.
Bob

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats