They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD+R vs DVD-R

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:11 pm

I've been reusing the same DVD+RW for over a year. Every once in a while I wash it in the sink with Ivory liquid detergent to get rid of the buildup of oil and smudges.

Premiere Elements 3.0.2 burns at the x2.4 speed instead of using the x4.0 speed. The disc is capbable of x2.4 and x4.0.

I thought this was an interesting article to read:

http://www.ip.philips.com/download_atta ... 8/4288.pdf
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: DVD+R vs DVD-R

Postby videolady » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:41 pm

I'd like to add my limited experience with burning DVDs. With my old computer, I used Memorex DVD-R's that said 16X on the label (not sure what burner I had) but never had a problem playing the DVDs which probably spanned around 30 different DVD players.

Since I had no problems, I continue to use the Memorex 16X DVD-R's with my new computer where I'm burning with a LG H10A dual layer burner. With over 150 burned DVDs distributed, only 1 person was not able to play one of my DVDs.

I never intentionally set the burn speed so I assume it is burning at 16X.

Question: How do I change the speed to something slower? My burner write speed is listed as 16X for DVD-Rs and 4X for DVD-R DL.

Thx,
Karen
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:49 pm

You can't set the burn speed in Premiere Elements.

You could use the export DVD to "folder" option, then use a 3rd-party burning application to burn a DVD-VIDEO disc using the VIDEO_TS folder as the source. You would be able to control the burn speed from the 3rd-party application, such as Nero Burning Rom.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi VideoLady,
If you burn with Premiere Elements you cannot change the burn speed, you would have to burn to a folder and then use another program like Encore, Nero or RecordNow to burn the folder to a disc. Other programs do allow you to change the burn speed. If you are not having any problems then I wouldn't worry about it. One of the biggest problems with companies like 3M (makers of the Memorex discs) is that they buy from many manufacturers, some good some bad. It is very difficult to know who made the discs in the package you are buying, they all say Memorex but they are not all the same disc. With discs like Memorex sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't, but do you want to have to worry about the next spindle of 50 that you buy? Will they work or not? When you get a bad batch you can have trouble with most of them, what a waste of money that would be.

I highly recommend buying other brands of media like Verbatim. A few years ago Verbatim was doing the same thing that 3M is doing and they put out a lot of bad media in the process. It took them quite a while to get their good name back after they settled on a single manufacturer of their discs.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:59 pm

videolady wrote: With over 150 burned DVDs distributed, only 1 person was not able to play one of my DVDs.

One thing to keep in mind .. is that they may PLAY .. but not the quality you think they are. I have a 4-year old player, which is really finicky. It will p-l-a-y the 16x, but it seems to have a lot of random pixels that flash on the screen where they don't belong, a little jumping and jerking. Your viewer may just think that's the way the video was made and never know to tell you they had some 'issues.'
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby videolady » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:13 pm

First of all, I do use Premiere Elements right now to do all my DVD burning, so I will probably leave well enough alone! But WOW, I had no idea about the Memorex manufacture 'shuffle'!! Maybe that's why I see them on sale every other week for half price for 100 (about $30 Cdn)!

I have seen Verbatim but thought they were not good. Now I think I will give them a try - right after I use my last Memorex spindle of 100! And as you point out, jayell, even though they play, who knows how good it is?

Thx for the eye openers!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:29 pm

Just to add my twopennyworth.

Like Chuck (and like a number of others I suspect) I use Verbatim media and I have had no trouble with any discs that I have burned.

My burners are Sony and LG. DVD players that I have are Pioneer, Sony and Toshiba.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby juice » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:29 am

DVD-R/RW was developed by Pioneer.
DVD+R/RW was developed by Sony, Philips & HP.

thats the difference, lol :-D
juice
New User
New User

Postby JRjr » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:42 am

Another good brand is Sony, IF they are manufactured in Japan. You need to look at the label carefully to determine where they come from, such as Taiwan or other places. This information was supposed to be true a year ago, I'm assuming it still holds.

JRjr
JRjr

Previous

Return to DVD Authoring