They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD Workshop2 FANTASTIC price! FYI

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

DVD Workshop2 FANTASTIC price! FYI

Postby AVITRY » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:19 pm

I would just like everyone to know about a very special find that RJ Johnston came across in case anyone didn't catch the mention of it in the depths of another post on another topic.

DVD Workshop2 was Ulead's Premiere DVD authoring program and still is for Standard Definition Video. The program sold for $250 dollars. It's OUTSTANDING, simple to use and feature packed. Hands down the easiest most complete DVD Authoring program for standard definition video.

Ulead has been purchased by Corel, who did not continue the DVD Workshop program. Robert found that BH Photo is selling this program for an unheard of, unbelievable price of $49.95. I'm telling you, if you are at all a video buff, you owe it to yourselves to snag up a copy before they are gone. :TU:
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: DVD Workshop2 FANTASTIC price! FYI

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Nice find, Joe!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:43 pm

I think that Joe and I are the only folks on the Forum who use this program... it is very flexible but I must admit I haven't used it for a while. One thing to note though is that it does not support widescreen DVD menus, just 4:3 format. That said there is a way to create 16:9 menus but not out of the box.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby AVITRY » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Steve, actually it was Roberts find as I mentioned in the post. And Paul, I believe that Robert has also discovered a way to make widescreen menus. He mentioned to me he found it on the Ulead forum. I hope he will comment for us. Great program.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:35 am

DVD Workshop retailed for close to $500 when it first came out. Right now Amazon has it listed for $395.99 used.

As I said in another thread, I just discovered that it will transcode AVCHD if you also have Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 installed and you change the file extensions to .MPG. DVDWS will use the decoder installed by VSPX2.

In less than a minute you can hack the DVD files so you can have a 16:9 menu.

The DVD menu templates that you can download from Muvipix are easily adapted for DVDWS.

I've been able to create a standard DVD slideshow with 800 photos (6 MP) in less than 2 minutes with maximum quality settings. That alone pays for the $49.95.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby AVITRY » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:16 am

And it comes with a written manual, and even some video tutorials on the install disc. I don't get it, but I like it. :) :dontknow: :scratch: Thanks for the find Robert :notworthy:
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby AVITRY » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:59 am

RJ Johnston wrote:In less than a minute you can hack the DVD files so you can have a 16:9 menu.

Robert, would you mind elaborating on the method please? I haven't had a need yet to do widescreen menus, but I'm sure thats not far off.

thanks,
joe
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:21 pm

AVITRY wrote:Robert, would you mind elaborating on the method please? I haven't had a need yet to do widescreen menus, but I'm sure thats not far off.

After burning your DVD to a folder, you use PGCEdit and DVDPatcher to modify the aspect ratio flags.

Here is the link to the tutorial:
http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Since that tutorial was written, PGCEdit has changed somewhat. In order to modify the flag with PGCEdit, you select the menu(s) with buttons from the list and then press CTRL-A (domain stream attributes), or alternatively you can right-click on the menu and select "Domain Stream Attributes" from the pop-up menu.

Another warning is that when you use DVDPatcher to change the other flags, don't just change 4:3 to 16:9. You need to make sure the rest of the options are correct.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SteveG » Mon May 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Now it's going for $24.95 and it says the offer ends 12/30/2010.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... ml#reviews
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat May 22, 2010 1:00 am

Sony sent me an competivie upgrade offer on Vegas Pro 9e for $299.95 US.

One of the qualifying competive products is Ulead DVD Workshop.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Sat May 22, 2010 4:25 am

That's interesting Robert... I wonder why they included a Ulead product?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat May 22, 2010 5:03 am

RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to DVD Authoring