They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PGC Edit for DVD Menu EXTRAS

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

PGC Edit for DVD Menu EXTRAS

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:24 am

It has been a year since I originally made this request. I have finally gotten back to it. Seems like the Holidays is my play time. With the help of Charles Deemer and RJ I found DVD Architect and PGC Edit. My original goal was to create a menu structure that allowed for stills to be shown and the show progression controlled by the DVD remote. I finally got back to this task, but I need some more help.

I have been able to get my menu working....almost. I have two trial sections for EXTRAS. I used the DVD-Architect Picture Compilation to create the two sections. One has 5 pictures in it. The other has 28. The compilation with 5 seems to work perfectly. Once chosen, it shows the first picture and waits for the PgDn (on PC) before moving to the next picture. My problem is with the second compilation. No matter what I try, when it gets to picture 16 in the compilation, the DVD seems to lose its reference and starts to show a blend of two pictures as if doing an A/B transition. The show then seems to be in this A/B transition mode for the remainder of the compilation.

I have tried 5 second duration for the stills, 2 seconds, and 1 second. The effect still occurs. Should I be choosing some magic multiple for still duration or do I need to do something else. I tried searching and after a discussion of i-frames and the like, I decided to ask my local experts.

I have posted the Video_TS folder (stripped down) to show the effect. Hopefully RJ or some other PGC-Edit user will be able to point out what I am doing incorrectly. It is so close to finish..... http://muvipix.com/cpg/displayimage.php?pos=-3462

P.S. Here is a screen shot of the PGC-Edit made on the second Picture Compilation.

PGC_Edit Screen.jpg

Thanks,
-Vernon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: PGC Edit for DVD Menu EXTRAS

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:57 am

Notice that under the "Seamless joint" column that all the checkboxes are pink, which indicates an error.

Try clearing all the checkmarks under the "Seamless joint" column.

Let me know the results.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:56 am

One second seems to be too short a length. Try five seconds instead. That worked okay for me.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:16 am

RJ,
I increased the time to 5 seconds and still received the same results. Cleared the check marks on "seamless joints" and still the same result. I then updated to the latest version of PGC-Edit and it the program threw some error messages that I did not understand.

02_PGCs_Sharing_Same_IFO.jpg

and this one also....

02_VMGM_Error.jpg

I allowed the program to correct the "Errors". In the first case, I choose to Load All PGCs. In the second case I chose YES to fix number of streams. Does that shed any light on the issue?

Thanks,
-Vernon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Ok, I need some help. In desperation, I rendered an AVI file in PrEl 7, put it inside DVD Architect, created the DVD, Used PGC-Edit to modify the IFO files, and now it seems to work.

Doing it this way takes a lot more steps, or maybe I need a shortcut. In particular, when creating a picture compilation inside DVD Architect, it puts the Chapter markers in place. When I import the AVI from PrEl into DVDA, I have to manually put in all of the Chapter markers. Looking inside PGC-Edit, it looks like it has the ability to add these from a list, but I am not sure how to proceed using PGC-Edit.

Is it possible using DVDA to have it automatically put chapter marks at every 5 second interval on my AVI file? I am running out of time to complete this Christmas gift, so if anyone has a good idea, please don't be bashful.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:48 am

I wish I had more time to help you with this. But this is what I have found.

There is a problem if you start a project as a "Picture Compilation." You'll end up getting those A/B transitions. Instead, start a new "Video/Music Compilation." Then drag your stills to the compilation tab. Now when you look at the timeline you'll see "Scene/Chapter" next to each marker instead of the name of the still. After editing in PGCEdit, you shouldn't see any A/B transitions when you press the Next button.

In PGCEdit you'll see that there won't be any checkmarks to clear under the Seamless Joint column. And instead of entering 255 in the boxes under the Cell Still Time column, you can click on the buttons under "Type Flag" column and tick the box next to "VOBU Still."

Sony DVDAS doesn't create a DVD structure exactly like the one created by Premiere Elements. Up until now I've only made minor edits to DVD structures created by Premiere Elements.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:12 am

Thanks RJ,
I will give that a try. In DVD-A do you know how to set the default hi-lighted item on each page? Right now, on my main menu, the menu starts with the highlight to move to the next page. I want it to be on one of my compilations. I have ordered Steve's book, but it has not got here yet.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:50 am

RJ,
That suggestion worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the assistance. I don't know where you come up with this stuff, but it is great having you here on the team. Have a Happy Holiday. I certainly will due to your help.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:11 am

Well, let's see. I don't use this very much.

It looks like you determine which button is the default button by the heirarchy of the item as it appears in the outline. Below on Menu 1, the first item in the list is the default button. You can move the items in the list by dragging and dropping.

Untitled
----Menu 1
-------Menu 1 (Page 1)
------------1: Link - Music/Video Compilation 1 (1: Scene/Chapter)
------------2: Link - Music/Video Compilation 2 (1: Scene/Chapter)
------------3: Menu 2
------------------Menu 2 (Page 1)
--------------------------1: Link - Music/Video Compilation 3 (1: Scene/Chapter)
------Music/Video Compilation 1
------Music/Video Compilation 2
------Music/Video Compilation 3
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:22 am

Once again you are on the money. Thanks. Your help has been invaluable. Another question, if I might. Since I have set the flags in PGC-Edit for the 400 stills, is there a way to save the info for "VODBU Stills" instead of doing the 1,000 mouse clicks again :) .

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:34 am

I don't know of any way to export/import that information with PGCEdit.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:46 am

Thanks. I was looking for a quick way. But the help you have given me has helped tremendously. Thanks again.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:53 am

I think I found the way, but I don't have time to fully test it out.

Select the VTST title in PGCEdit, then File > Replace VTST Titles.

You would navigate to the IFO file in a previous VTS_VIDEO folder where you had made changes. You only copy the title settings, but not the associated VOB file, (I THINK). PGCEdit prompts you and gives explanations.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:59 am

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was too busy clicking away. There is only one flaw left, but it will have to ship with it. While iterating through the stills, the last PgDn completes the current compilation, but it also starts the next one in the sequence (e.g. Part 3 completes and then Part 4 starts).

I changed the Navigation settings to go to the current menu page and to select the next button. I did not think that it would complete one compilation and start the other. When a compilation is set up to just play through, it returns to the menu and stops. This is the behavior that I would like to emulate. I must be missing something, but I am too tired to see it right now. It is time to burn, label and ship :yh:

Thanks again,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:19 am

I know this is an ancient thread. But I would like to do the same thing, but this time for a Blu-Ray disk. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to start?

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to DVD Authoring