They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Setting the layer change in dual layer DVD's

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Setting the layer change in dual layer DVD's

Postby chooks » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Is it possible to set the position for layer change on a dual layers DVD using PE 7

If not, can the DVD authoring programs such as Nero, encore, or DVD architecht set the position for layer change on the timeline?

chooks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: layer change in dual layer DVD's

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:37 am

Some DVD encoders will allow for changing the layer change in DL DVDs. Googling might help you find the answer for specific software packages.

Here is an extract of a post from Neil Wilkes that he posted on the Adobe forum:-

Neil Wilkes wrote:I have found that since forever, Encore will not set the layer break reliably. It never has. Once you invoke the automatic option, it seems to matter little what you do to the contrary, it will now remain locked in this place.

As far as getting the manual option to appear - good luck! It has never worked for me.

What I have always done when using Encore for DL media is to leave the whole break point completely alone, and set this in GEAR Pro Mastering Edition instead. This is a lot of hassle in itself, no doubt about it.

There is a compromise solution though. Instead of mastering directly in Encore, create a DVD Folder of the entire project, leaving the break setting alone. Download PGCEdit (donationware, and well worth the donation too) and alter the layer break setting here. Once this has been done, you can now load the folder into a new GEAR project, and the modified break point will be honoured.

If you can deliver using DVD+R DL (not really recommended) you can again make a folder from Encore, and use the freewareIMGBurn to set the break point, remembering to modify the IFO files.

The modified IFO fileset should also be usable with GPME as well.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Setting the layer change in dual layer DVD's

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:25 am

I would think that you could make the modification with PGCEdit (free) and then burn the DVD with IMGBurn (also free).
I do know that Premiere Elements does not let you set the layer change and I know it can be annoying when you don't do that. If you knew where the spot was you could maybe put something there, fade to black or some kind of transition. Stretch out the opening title to move the video to a spot where the layer change isn't noticeable? There may be some options but you would have to burn one to find the spot and how much you would need to move the video. Just some thoughts.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:47 am

As an aside, I have always just left the layer change position to Encore. The 'fleeting stop' really has never been so noticable that I have considered wanting to change it.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby chooks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Thankyou for your reply's. I was hoping to put the layer transition in a point that would match up with the start of a new chapter. Know that I hae put some more thought into it, I am starting to think using two 4.7gb discs might be more reliable than dual layered DVD's for playing on a variety of DVD players.
chooks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:18 pm

The dual layer discs shouldn't be a problem with most DVD players, those are the same discs that Hollywood uses to put most of the movies on.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby chooks » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:45 am

thanks Chuck, I will try the first batch as dual layered. From reading a few threads, I was concerned that some DVD players would permanently freeze at the layer changeover point.
chooks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:39 am

chooks wrote: I was concerned that some DVD players would permanently freeze at the layer changeover point. [/color]

That's one thing you shouldn't have to worry about. When the big guys produce DVDs they have lots of very expensive software, equipment and methods to do things like set the layer change point to specific spot. Not to mention that the DVDs are pressed and not burned like ours are, there is quite a big difference. But still the DVD media is the same, just a different process of putting the data onto them that's all.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:05 pm

Other than Adobe Encore (no longer available as a stand-alone), the best Layer Break function that I have used is the freeware, ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com. If one were to Burn to Folder from PrE, and then use ImgBurn, they would have probably a dozen choices, that would be "graded," from poor to great choices. Some even like it better than Encore, but for my DL Projects, I have never had an issue with Encore.

My workflow differs from that of many. I edit in PrPro, and I use Sequences as my "Chapters." I do not use Chapter Markers, or even Chapter Playlists, because if I have 15 "Chapters," I have 15 Sequences (in PrPro) and then 15 Timelines in Encore. That is one of the reasons that Encore's automatic Layer Breaks work so well for me.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:17 pm

The Sony VHS/DVD player that I have will not play past the layer break on a home burned DL disc. The next year's model I gave my mother does play home burned DL discs.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Helen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:04 pm

Same here, our dvd players will not play past the layer break on home burned dual layer discs. I thought I had done something wrong, but they play all the way through on the Playstation.
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to DVD Authoring