They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD Architect & DVD-ROM Question

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

DVD Architect & DVD-ROM Question

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:08 pm

From some questions on another forum, and from some e-mail requests for help, I have a question:

Does DVD Architect allow for the inclusion of DVD-ROM content. If so, is this version-specific, i.e. only in a Pro version?

I use Adobe Encore, which does allow for easy insertion of DVD-ROM content, accessible from a computer only, but do not know about other authoring apps.

I've also seen DVD-ROM content added, when one Burns to Folder, and then adds the DVD-ROM content folder, for later burning by ImgBurn, or similar. I have not used this method myself, as I have Encore, and wonder about any potential playability issues, if the DVD-Video disc is used in a set-top player. Obviously, the DVD-ROM content would not be accessible from there, but I would hope that the addition of an extra folder, along with the VIDEO_TS folder in the root of the disc, would not cause issues.

Thanks for the responses,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: DVD Architect & DVD-ROM Question

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi Bill,

DVD Architect Studio can easily include DVD-ROM content. DVD-ROM content is only available when browsing the disc on a computer and won't affect the playback in the DVD player. To add it, you create a folder on your pc containing the material you want to add -- you can add any type of files or subfolders -- and specify the location in the project properties dialog in the "Extras" folder property. When you burn the DVD, the Extras folder will be burned to the root of the disk.
Bob

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Bob,

Thank you for that instant response. I assumed that DVD Architect could easily do this, but wanted to check it out, before I gave a user the rec. to go get it.

I have explained to her the limitation on DVD-ROM content ONLY being accessible from a computer and she's adding a title to her DVD-Video content to instruct the users how to access it, plus is putting instructions on the DVD case covers.

Appreciated,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:15 am

You're welcome, Bill!

I just realized that what I said could be misinterpreted. I'd like to clarify that just to make sure there is no confusion. When I said "When you burn the DVD, the Extras folder will be burned to the root of the disk". What I meant was the contents of the folder specified in the DVDAS Extras folder property will be burned to the root. If you want the materials to be in a folder called "Extras", you would create a subfolder of that name in the specified directory and place the materials in that.
Bob

Return to DVD Authoring