They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Let's revisit DVD label printers

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Let's revisit DVD label printers

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:17 am

I print directly to my CDs and DVDs with my Epson Stylus Photo R800. When it works it does a great job, but in the past few months I've not been able to get past head clogs with any amount of cleaning, which is a terrible waste of ink. I'm ready to pitch it to the curb. Printing my own photos is something I very seldom do anymore, so I'm thinking that I should be looking for something that just specializes in printing to discs. I suppose I could purchase another inkjet printer with only disc printing in mind, but I don't want to deal with the clogs again, and my disc printing is low volume. When searching for specialized disc printers I find that the only thing available for any reasonable amount of money, that gets decent reviews, is the Dymo DiscPainter. The print images posted on Amazon indicate some problems with concentric circular banding problems. Of course it's hard to tell what the print job actually looks like in real life. This unit has been around for a while. For a long time I've been thinking that they would introduce a new model but that's not happening.

I'd appreciate any general thoughts and experience regarding this unit, or just printers that print to disc in general.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Let's revisit DVD label printers

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Dave, Do you use only Epson Ink or do you use some other brand?
The clogging has always been a problem with Epson printers as long as I can remember.
I have gone through a few of them myself over the years and finally just switched to HP, no more problems.

I do have the R220 for printing DVDs and CDs though. It has been working well for a few years now and no clogging problems. I only use Epson ink and that does help I'm sure.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:40 pm

Only Epson ink Chuck. Always been a believer in sticking with the manufacturer's inks in my printers. Chuck, is the 220 a photo printer, or a standard inkjet? I'm wondering if the photo inks are more of a problem regarding clogging. I did just find out that Dymo doesn't make any drivers for Vista 64 for the DiscPainter, so it's obvious they have no intention of keeping it current with new technology.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:13 pm

It is a Epson Stylus R220 Photo Printer, lots of bad reviews at Amazon but I like it myself.
Probably not much of a difference between this one and yours.

Have you looked at
http://www.gotmedia.com/verity-systems- ... inter.html
http://www.noblehousecd.com/Products/GX ... -1000.aspx
HP Printer

Other HP Printers http://www.hp.com/united-states/consume ... abels.html
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:34 pm

I had an Epson 1280 that clogged all the time. It finally got so bad I got rid of it a couple of years ago. I replaced it with an Epson R380 photo printer which has been trouble free so far. Haven't had a clog yet. I turn it off between photo printing sessions (when I had the 1280, an Epson tech told me the head seats when the printer is off which helps to keep the ink from drying in the head). I have a laser printer which I use for text printing. The biggest issue I have with it is that it drinks ink like crazy.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:45 pm

I also keep my R220 turned off between printing sessions, maybe that makes a difference.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Bob, my Epson prints incredible photos, and for the first couple of years that I owned it I thought it was the greatest thing around. I've also heard of the importance of turning it off for that reason, and have been doing so. However, I've also heard that turning it on and off uses a lot more ink. I've never read of any user techniques that will clear the clogs if the regular cleaning cycle doesn't work, so I will probably be tossing this one too.

Dave McElderry

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:21 pm

I've got two of the Epson printers - the R200 & R260. Only the newer one has ever clogged on me. However, once I started using Lightscribe to label my discs, I haven't used the printed labels any more. (Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just my personal preference to use Lightscribe.)
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:32 am

It worries me when people tell me that some Epsons never clog and others they've had problems with. I already have one that clogs and I'm one of those guys whose luck would be to end up with another.

Dave McElderry

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 am

I gave away my Epson 220. It was wasteful, wasteful, wasteful. My mother had an Epson printer and it was wasteful, wasteful, wasteful. She wrote a letter to the company, but never got a response.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:43 am

I still use my R220, but I am now using cheap non-Epson ink carts. I have been getting them for about $40 for two packs and about $60 for four packs. They seem to work OK for DVD labels, and actually seem to clog a bit less than Epson carts.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:20 am

I use an HP J6450 AIO for all regular printing and an HP D5160 exclusively for light-duty DVD/CD printing. I use the standard black and tri-color cartridges - never bothered with the photo cartridges. They have always been good on ink usage and no clogging. The D5160 is the cheapy disk printer which has been replaced with the current D5460 5 cartridge model. The bigger brother to it is the D7560, also a 5 cart unit. I don't know how well the newer series will be compared to the two cart model but I think I will pay a little more next time for the D7560 in hopes that it will be a better unit. It looks to me like these are the only two budget printers that print on DVDs from HP.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:52 am

Thanks for the reply Ken. The 5460 model number seemed familiar; then I realized that it was the same printer that Chuck provided a link for. I'm using the rest of the ink cartridges that I have in stock for my Epson before making a final decision. You're right about the number of low-priced offerings from HP being limited. I had an HP Photosmart that had clogging problems, and the printing wasn't very wonderful from the beginning, so I'm cautious about the HP inkjets. That's probably unfair because I don't know how much technology ends up being shared between models. The average guy doesn't really know when they've truly improved the engineering, or if it's just old engineering built into a new package. I wish the HP inkjets were as trouble-free as their laserjets.

When you say that you'd go for the next higher up model in hopes that it would be a better unit, is there anything in particular that you think would be higher quality?

Dave McElderry

Return to DVD Authoring