They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Best Program for DVD Labels

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Best Program for DVD Labels

Postby rusty » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:46 pm

This isn't strictly speaking a DVD Authoring question, but what is the best program people have found for creating DVD labels? I'm talking about the round kind that you stick on the DVD to make is look nice instead of scribling on it with a Sharpie! I tried PSE7 which purports to have a way to do that under the Create tab but I just about pulled all of my hair out trying to get that to work - totally not intuitive. Rather than buy anything else, I just downloaded a free program from the Avery (or was it Dennison - can't recall) label site that lets you custom design any kind of labels, so I can drop in photos, text boxes, etc. They come out looking pretty nice, but the process still seems kind of cumbersome. I can't help but think there must be a much better way, and that the product must be cheap. And presumably, those programs can help make complementary jacket covers and jewel case inserts too?

Russ
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Program for DVD Labels

Postby Bobby » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi Rusty. I use Corel Draw, but that is an expensive graphics suite that I wouldn't recommend you get just for DVD labels.

I would like to point out if you are not aware that paper labels on DVDs don't work very well at all. The increased thickness and possible slight misalignment can cause a significant increase on DVD error rates. They are OK for CDs, but not for DVDs.

Many of us kept our eyes peeled for inexpensive, sometimes referb offers from Epson. Lots of us got the R220 printer which can print directly on an appropriate DVD surface. You are much better off direct printing than using labels.

You can also look into Lightscribe DVD drives that use the laser in the drive to burn the reverse side of a special DVD blank. It is monochrome, but some people like them.

But the program may be the same. Many of the label programs support both paper page layouts and print direct for various printers.

Others will chime in...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rusty » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks Bobby. I didn't know that about DVD's and labels. I saw a thread a few days back about LightScribe and followed that. I'll look forward to others' comments.

Russ
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:51 pm

I've been using this one for a while and like it very much:

http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/

Reasonably priced and updated versions are free.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:46 pm

rusty wrote: I can't help but think there must be a much better way, and that the product must be cheap. And presumably, those programs can help make complementary jacket covers and jewel case inserts too?

Russ

Chuck and others print directly to printable DVDs with their ink-jet printers. Others, including me, are enamored of the Lightscribe system, which uses the laser in your DVD writer to inscribe a permanent label into the Lightscribe surface of the DVD.

There are many who believe that stick-on labels are, in terms of ruining your DVD reader/writer, a disaster waiting to happen.

With regard to DVD jackets, I haven't found anything better than Elements.

For CD jackets, iTunes does a superb job that includes the album covers for all the songs that you have put onto the CD on the front side of the jacket, plus a listing of all the songs on the CD on the back of the jacket.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:58 am

I second Peru's recommendation. I use this too, not just for printing onto the DVD itself but also for creating DVD inserts etc.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Briantho » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:19 am

For DVDs I use the free "CD Label Print" program that comes with all the Canon printers that have the option. The printers involved are incredibly cheap and produce brilliant results. The program is very comprehensive and easy to use. I have never considered sticky labels on either CDs or DVDs.

For jackets I use MS Publisher - just brilliant.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:50 am

Briantho wrote:...Canon printers that have the option...

Not sure where you are Rusty, but US printers don't usually have the CD/DVD print tray due to some patent issue I believe (getting old - don't remember!). Epson was the only manufacturer that seemed to have them. I just took a quick look through the canonusa website and didn't see any printers that had the CD/DVD print capability.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 am

Bobby wrote:...but US printers don't usually have the CD/DVD print tray due to some patent issue I believe ...

I had no idea that was the case. They're (almost) freely available over here.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby rusty » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:12 am

Wow - thanks for all the great info...as usual! I'll definitely stay away from sticky labels going forward. I'm in Canada - probably the same situation as in the US.

Russ
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Briantho » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:30 am

rusty wrote:Wow - thanks for all the great info...as usual! I'll definitely stay away from sticky labels going forward. I'm in Canada - probably the same situation as in the US.

Russ

Then you're in luck: http://www.canon.ca/english/index-produ ... e=features

This is a newer version of what I've been using for the last few years.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby rusty » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:52 am

Sweet! Isn't the internet amazing...I still think that all the time!!

Russ
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rusty » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:16 am

Just checked tigerdirect.ca and they have the Canon ip4600 for CDN $132.99. Reviews look good, does CD/DVD printing, and regular BW printing is faster than my current Canon MP600 scanner/printer. Probably significantly better print quality too, although the MP600 ain't bad for a multi-funtion unit. Also does duplex printing. I think I'm in, and will keep the other for scanning and maybe BW printing to reduce wear and tear on the new one. Thanks Brian.

Russ
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Yup, the US Canon webpage (www.canonusa.com) never mentions CD/DVD capability for the ip4600.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Helen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Russ
I have the canon IP4300 and it is great and like Brian I use the CD Label Print software that came with the printer for my cd/dvds. It works a treat.
:)
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to DVD Authoring